• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Aneroid Barometer Question

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
I wondered if anyone knows how the square pin comes out to release the bellows spring, I want to remove the bellows spring to treat the spider rust. The Barometer dates 1850.
All help would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe this square pin is threaded hence the square?

Ane roid 2..jpg Aneroid 1..jpg Aneroid 3..jpg

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
It's been a while since I worked on one of these, but I thought it was the spring tention that held that pin in place. Can you not depress the spring and pull the pin out?

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
It's been a while since I worked on one of these, but I thought it was the spring tention that held that pin in place. Can you not depress the spring and pull the pin out?
You could be right, I will try again but why use a square pin?

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
You could be right, I will try again but why use a square pin?
The square pin is not threaded and by compressing the leaf spring I have moved it into the centre post off the right top of the spring.
Its really hard to pull out, I had to use a tiny drift and matching hammer to move it that far. Why use a square pin, I think its to push the pin in with a flat side down, then rotate it onto its edge to apply more pressure, and hold it in place.
I missed the boat here initially and will make a tiny spanner to fit across the flats and hopefully rotate it? The hole is round.
IS THERE A COMPRESSION TOOL FOR THESE SPRINGS?

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
The square pin is not threaded and by compressing the leaf spring I have moved it into the centre post off the right top of the spring.
Its really hard to pull out, I had to use a tiny drift and matching hammer to move it that far. Why use a square pin, I think its to push the pin in with a flat side down, then rotate it onto its edge to apply more pressure, and hold it in place.
I missed the boat here initially and will make a tiny spanner to fit across the flats and hopefully rotate it? The hole is round.
IS THERE A COMPRESSION TOOL FOR THESE SPRINGS?
Aneroid 4.jpg Aneroid 5.jpg

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
Is it working? If so, it would be a good idea to leave it as is. :) Willie X
The bellows are sealed and move the needle on compression but the chain links have some rust spots as the spring does. It needs to be stripped cleaned and oiled, then regulated. It was never working accurately.
I'll set up a spring compression device to finishing pulling out the square pin, I think the pin was inserted on its edge which is how I'll remove it..

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
Pin removed spring released without damage. Interesting the hole for the pin is diamond shaped to take the pin shape.

Reactions: Robert Gift

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
Is there anything on calibrating an old Aneroid, not the screw at the back, but on my Naudet its quite complicated with a no. of adjusting screws. I have re assembled it after cleaning, polishing oiling etc.
Pic to follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabberwalky
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent