...and while I'm asking about mainsprings...

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
How would YOU get the spring out of the barrel, when the winding arbor is on the GEAR side, and the end of the arbor poking out of the open side is round and only about 1/8 inch beyond the edge of the spring?

I await wisdom on getting that sucker into a capture sleeve. And back out into the barrel.

bangster

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
How would YOU get the spring out of the barrel, when the winding arbor is on the GEAR side, and the end of the arbor poking out of the open side is round and only about 1/8 inch beyond the edge of the spring?

I await wisdom on getting that sucker into a capture sleeve. And back out into the barrel.

bangster

Chris

NAWCC Business
Nov 4, 2001
Ellsworth, Maine
clocksbychristopher.com
Country
Region
Are you using an Ollie Baker winder? If yes, what I do is loosen the allen screw on the adjustable pivot rest on sliding bar so that a sleeve will rest on it. You can then wind it up and slip on the sleeve as any other.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Give that arbor a tug and see if it comes apart. Some of them will.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
No Ollie Baker; Joe Collins winder. In order to wind it up, the chuck on the winder gotta be able to grab the arbor. Not enough sticking out the open side to grab.

Could pull the arbor out and turn it end-for-end. But then the hook wouldn't grab the hole in the spring.

(sigh)

bangster

Ken M.

Jun 17, 2003
Northridge CA
www.TheTicTocShop.com
Country
Bangster,

I have an Ollie Baker but this will work on most winders. I have a selection of mainspring arbors that I have accumulated with varying diameters and hooks going in both directions. I keep them with the winder sleeves. When I run into one of these “problem” barrels I just pick one that fits and problem solved.

Most recently was one of those nasty round New Haven movements where the barrels are screwed to the plate and the open end is next to the main wheel. Absolutely no way to use a winder with that arbor. So I just pop it out and use one of mine.

Ken

SSWood

Sep 27, 2004
Why not remove the arbor, and replace with one from probably a chime barrel, where the hook faces the other direction, and the squared end, is on the open side of the barrel. When replacing, use this 'reverse arbor' to wind, and insert in the barrel, then replace with the correct arbor

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Originally posted by Scottie-TX:
BONG; Mebbe ya oughta stick to only working on CLEPSYDRAS.
Hey, I ain't no veterinarian.

Ken &SSW...GOOD suggestions. Now I just gotta find me a place to cannibalize the right kind of arbor.

bangster

Last edited by a moderator:

BIG D

Mar 2, 2004
Memphis Area, TN, USA
Country
Region
Bang,
If I understand the question.... above answers are good of you have extra arbors. BUT if your like me and did not have one handy the other day.
I used my Webster winder and chucked up the arbor. Grabbed the outside of the barrel by hand (in glove), then captured it in a sleeve. I then had to unchuck the arbor, slide the barrel off, rechuch the arbor and release it from the sleeve.
To Reinstall I had to recapture it in the sleeve, unchuck the arbor, slide barrell over and seat the hole, rechuck and hold barrell while I woundup and removed sleeve.
A bit tricky but do-able.

Hope this is an answer to your question and not off base.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Hey Don...
I like that, too. Hold barrel in gloved hand instead in the winder thing, leaving open side exposed. Wind up, brake crank, stick sleeve into barrel over spring. Right? Helps to have three hands.

That's why I love this mb. Unsuspected info from folks what know.

bangster

BIG D

Mar 2, 2004
Memphis Area, TN, USA
Country
Region
Dats right Bang.
You got it. Good thing about my Webster winder it has a click feature to automatically hold the winder handle while you reach over with winder hand and insert sleeve.

I agree This MB is GREAT.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtvx
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff