...and finally after many years

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Bruce Barnes, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    I have wanted a clock by these manufacturers for many years, always outbid or got too expensive. Yesterday seemed to be my lucky day.........has a small piece on the upper trim missing but all in all a nice clock.
    Mostly all original, mahogany and the pewter engraved pulleys and the finger pointing second bit.
    Fingers crossed..................
    Regards,
    Bruce

60360105_1_x.jpg 60360105_2_x.jpg View attachment 469311 60360105_3_x.jpg 60360105_4_x.jpg

Russell Dickson and sylvester12 like this.
  2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    wow... lovely.

those weight cords probably want to go in the pulley channels and not where they currently are, yes? :cool:

3. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Bruce, the clock was running at purchase and unknown as to why they were taken off the pulleys..............
    Bruce

4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    probably just slipped while being moved. did i mention i'm jealous?

5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Love that gold on black dial especially. Lovely book matched veneers. An impressive clock.

Just an FYI. I'm pretty sure that the weights should be compounded with a second set of embossed pewter pulleys which are often missing. Some place on the message board I've posted pix of the ones in my "ironing board" Munger.

Much about H&B and Munger in Oeschle and Boyce's wonderful book.

There's much about Munger, Hotchkiss and Benedict in the Bulletin including these 2 articles by 2 of, my favorite horological scholars.

See this by the late F.H. McMillan: http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1960/articles/1966/125/125_571.pdf

See this by the late Ken Roberts: http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1960/articles/1969/141/141_990.pdf

A bit old @ this point. However, I do I think some of the best treatments of Asa Munger, Hotchkiss, Benedict, etc. Ties it into some wonderful history including that of the Erie Canal (seems quaint now, but how economically important it was), and even the sociological beliefs of the time including regarding movements for prison "reform", prison labor, etc.

A clock can reflect some interesting history of their times (no pun intended).

Yes, the Schmidt Auction (3/31/18) had some nice things, including your beauty. For those interested, here's a link to the on-line catalog: Schmidt's Antiques Inc. Since 1911 - SPRING CLOCK AND WATCH AUCTION

I do think that lot 113 is totally bogus and someone paid more for that than you did for you wonderful clock! As we used to say in the Bronx, "go figure?"

Enjoy you lovely historic clock.

RM

Raymond Rice likes this.
  6. Raymond Rice

Raymond Rice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Retired IBM manager, retired politician, now just
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great looking clock! I've always had an interest in Munger clocks--the prison aspect makes an interesting backstory.
    Ray Rice

7. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    RM et al, thanks for your kind comments and suggestions, I am looking forward to cleaning and waxing this clock. Has anyone in the past had any experience with this style case "fainting" after the weights were wound to the top,or does the base only provide marginal support?
    Regards,
    Bruce

8. Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce, I can relate to your concern about the clock "fainting" when the weights are fully raised. A lot of these taller shelf clocks show evidence of having been screwed to a wall. My Hotchkiss and Benedict seems to have avoided that indignity. I put a couple of quarters under each paw foot so it has a slight backward tilt -- not a very scientific solution, but it makes me feel better --and my bride has an extreme aversion to any extraneous screw holes in the walls of her living room.
    Ray Rice, always eager to avoid marital discord, in Rifton.

9. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Ray, with the backward tilt do the weights begin to score the backboard?, and I have suffered the indignities and chastisement of " where did this hole come from" ?
    Bruce

10. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    You're welcome.

A couple of screws through preferably preexisting holes in the backboard to secure it to a wall might be prudent? That's what I did with my "ironing board" top. There were preexisting holes in the back board (a good indication that a previous owner or owners thought it might be prudent, too). Not sure it was necessary, but it has a great upper door glass and losing that in a header would have been tragic.

RM

11. Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Bruce, the wallpaper on the backboard of mine came"pre scored"--actually more of a scuffing from 180 years of use. I predict that I won't live long enough to scuff it up anymore. Also, we live in an old house, so its difficult to find any wall or surface, plumb or level.

Just now, when I checked for "scoring" I noticed something new to me. There are 2 - 5/16" holes drilled through the base -- I have no idea why they would be there --possibly for shipping? I've seen these holes in OG's -- which I understand were used for shipping, but they don't seem to make sense for this case which has paw feet.
    Ray Rice

12. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Hi Ray, interesting discovery regarding the two holes. Are they in the actual pediment/base bottom center or towards the rear, or very low on the back board? Do they look like a factory procedure or a later activity and if you were to guess, what might their use be?
    Always something to learn and discover.....
    Regards,
    Bruce

13. Russell Dickson

Russell Dickson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow love it

14. Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce, the holes are in the base --each is about 6 inches from each side and centered front to rear. I would say it was a factory procedure, but I can only speculate as to their purpose -- possibly used to stabilize the clock in a shipping crate?

15. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Hi Ray, that would be my guess, how deep are they and are there matching holes on the top of the case otherwise it might be like securing a boat from the bow only :???: