English And Another!

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Hogshair, Apr 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Tomorrow
  1. Hogshair

Hogshair Registered User

Sep 6, 2014
    Hi all, as I don't have my copy of 'Clockmaking in England and Wales in the Twentieth Century' yet I thought I’d ask all you kind horologist’s out there for even more help. Is the clock in the picture another Perivale? Markings are 'Made in England'. Anyone know how many movements (as in type) Smith's made? I normally work on French mantel clock movements but I rescued a 'Perivale' (which this forum all helped identify) from a skip/dumpster not so long ago and I was immediately struck by its build, quite a beast!

Cheers

Hogs.

Magwa.jpg bb.jpg Magwa 2.jpg

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I can not assist you with the identification of the movement maker, but I find it very interesting that the "Made in England" appears to not be a factory inscription. It appears that it was inscribed by hand and, IMO, after the movement was made or originally sold.

Regards.

Hogshair likes this.
  3. Hogshair

Hogshair Registered User

Sep 6, 2014
    Hi new2clock, yes, I thought it a bit below par for a factory stamp. Perhaps the guy doing the engraving had too much Soju or Baijiu?
    Cheers
    Hogs.

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The movement looks somewhat like the Enfield F2 movement, which Glanville and Wolmuth (Clockmaking in England and Wales in the Twentieth Century) show on page 230, figs. 5.87 and 5.88. Yet, there seem to be some small differences, as well. The inscriptions "Made in England" that they show on the F2 and its predecessor the F1 also don't look up to snuff, IMO. Hard to tell from the photos, however. Perhaps Jonathan will have some better information.

5. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll have a look tomorrow as it would need a good thumb through, I'm sure Steven has done that.

6. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Well, I did the best I could, and I did sprain my thumb.:(

7. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You did indeed even without the suspension block, it is the Enfield F2, though not on the page # you gave so I also sprained my thumb. ;)

The only thing I'd add is the F2 was made between 1934-45 and runs for 14 days.

8. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Yes it's page 220, I find, though yesterday it looked like page 230 from across the room. :glasses::=

jmclaugh likes this.