Analog Clocks Being Removed From Classrooms

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Dick C, May 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. stewey

stewey Registered User

Dec 20, 2012
    Oshawa, Ontario.
    Country Flag:
    I find that I now have very little use for loguearithms...Yes, I realise/realize that's a bad one: I'll get me coat and hat and shut the door as I leave.:screwball:

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No actual y in Rhythm? ;)

3. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Federal Signal Corporation SiraTone line of electronic outdoor warning sirens were intended for that very purpose, although they were normally utilized for tornado warnings instead. Built throughout the 1980s, the most common SiraTone was the model EOWS*612 which spun around as shown in the video.
    They utilized a Westminster chime signal which could be used for testing in order to avoid being mistaken for the alarm signal.
    The usual alarm signal was an obnoxious droning sine wave tuned to an off-key minor third interval (they thought it sounded spooky). For good measure here's a typical SiraTone "tornado warning" alert signal. This particular SiraTone was located in Madison, Wisconsin and was seemingly never utilized for the Westminster chime.

Despite their popularity these sirens were notoriously unreliable and the vast majority of examples have since been relegated to the scrapheap.
    Conversely more developed electronic sirens have stepped up in popularity and appear poised to casually oust what's left of the older-fashioned electro-mechanical siren's market. The world really is going electronic, digital, and battery operated whether it's a clock, siren, or who knows what else. Someday they'll certainly invent digital people.

4. stewey

stewey Registered User

Dec 20, 2012
    Oshawa, Ontario.
    Country Flag:
    It's strange, roughbarked, that at a quick glance our avatars, if that is the correct term, look quite similar. Mine is a Caro stopwatch in which I replaced the winding stem. Yes, I forgot the why...That's coz I didn't go to grammer school.:mysad:

5. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is that what that was Justin? I don't have perfect pitch or even a musician's ear...plus I don't hear the higher frequencies anymore...but I wasn't quite sure. It "kind of" sounds like a Westminster Chime, but then it definitely does *not*. :eek:

Let's just say that anyone responsible for even putting forth a suggestion that Big Ben be replaced by such a contraption would never get anywhere near the levers of power. :chuckling:

6. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Last weekend our local Chapter had a booth at a popular, local country fair. I remembered this thread and was curious if it was true. Mostly as a means to start a conversation with folks that were passing by with their kids, I would ask the kids if they knew how to tell time from an analogue clock. Almost all of them said they could and it was still being taught in school, but a few that said they could actually couldn't when asked by their parents to demonstrate. Many could do it though.

One father said to me, "what a great question, I had no idea if she could or couldn't". When his daughter failed to correctly tell the time he laughed and said he had some homework to do with his daughter when they got home.

Just thought I'd pass this on, it was fun and was a great way to engage families and look at our booth.
    Don

Kevin W. and Bruce Alexander like this.
  7. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think younger children may be interested because it means they can understand what the "pointers" on the local town clock mean
    Next is what the chimes mean

8. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have found that many that come to work in the machine shop, that i work at. Many younger people can only read digital measuring equipment. I have not heard of clocks removed in Canadian schools, have asked a few teachers. Great way Don to engage families and youngsters into a conversation.

9. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mine is a Jaeger LeCoultre 467/2. I have two of them.

10. Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mine is the local Church Clock movement, the small clock face is anticlockwise
    It shows how the hands would be if you could see through the back of the clock face
    When ever we have children up the tower I ask them what is wrong with it
    About half notice that the numbers are backwards
    It takes adults a few minutes to realise what they are seeing

11. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Weird how with some things, kids are better than adults at seeing. I guess it's because they are more careful,

Example:

PARIS
    IN THE
    THE SPRING

Many adults don't get it. Most kids do.

12. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's just down to the way we read, we scan rapidly and fill in with what is expected to be there, same as we do when we hear people speak.

13. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  14. Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tim
    That figures
    I am a bellringer at my local Church
    We get quite a few children visiting the tower to see the bells and clock
    I have not come across a single one who can't tell the time using a proper clock
    That includes the Rainbows, a branch of the Girl Guides for 5- 7 year olds

15. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I talked to a banker and said it has been a point of concern that many people can't sign a contract in cursive. They are having to re-evaluate how to verify a contract.

12250.jpeg

Ain't I a stinker? :cool::D

16. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Snopes is not a paragon of accuracy on many fronts. I don't trust them for good information on any subject.

And some school systems encourage learning/reading analog clocks and others do not. Sadly, I have grandchildren who can text 80 words a minute on their phones but can only tell time by analog dials with difficulty.

MartinM likes this.
  17. Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim
    How often do you grandchilden see an analogue clock?
    It sounds like they do not have one at home

18. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just wondering what hard proof has been seen, anyone have actual facts about clocks being removed, or is this just talk.

19. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The grandchildren in question have a tall clock I built in 1971 that has been running and chiming and striking ever since. So, they have been exposed to analog timekeeping since birth. But, they are all entirely dependent their phones for just about everything, so are their friends, and so is much of the society in which they function. They can figure out what "quarter of four" means but it does not compute to 3:45 directly. It takes time, they will get to it, but it is not anything they use often so retraining is required.

20. Carl in France

Carl in France Registered User

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    Hautes Pyrénées, sometimes Wales.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My friend who still teaches in England laughed out loud when i mentioned this and asks me to tell people to stop believing what the newspapers write!

21. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am from the old school i guess, i believe things when i see them, or get knowledge first hand.

22. Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You could use British English and spelling
    Is that being too cruel?

23. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Snopes like anything on the internet can be incorrect.

However as this is about British schools I can tell you that the current GCSE science curriculum (examined at 16) and GCE A (examined at 18) require students to be able to read analogue as well as digital instruments.

Now whether some schools are removing analogue clocks I don't know, but schools have very little money so if they are I doubt they are replacing with digital, perhaps they just can't afford the batteries.

24. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I tend to agree with novicetimekeeper. Changing clocks in a school would probably be too cost prohibitive. All the schools I have been too and as far as I know most in Canada, I'm only assuming elsewhere just for simplicity, the clocks are mains powered master/slave setups and the analogue ones are or were less expensive and reliable.
    Whether that goes for newly built schools or time systems I have no idea.

25. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I cant wait for cursive to go by wayside, like the rotary phone. I have been hand writing everything in print for many years. Although I can sign my name in cursive, I find many people's writing to be illegible, or at least taking significantly more time to decipher. Not to mention I'm a lefty, and writing from left to right is Inherently uncomfortable.
    I remember rotary phones. When dialing a number like 978-8789.....remembering what number was last dialed presented problems!