An unusual Seth Thomas #4 secondary tower clock movement.

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Peter A. Nunes, Nov 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently acquired this interesting, and mostly original, Seth Thomas #4 tower clock movement. It's a secondary, or "slave" clock (master/slave clock was voted the year's most politically incorrect phrase in 2004 by Global Language Monitor, and I agree that it's time for that terminology to go,, for reasons that should be obvious.)

The movement is made to receive an impulse every thirty seconds from the primary clock, at which time the double solenoid seen on the clock frame pulls off an arm for a second, and then releases it. In that time, a fan on what would be the escape wheel arbor slows the turning of that arbor and an arm extending from it, which then is stopped by the pull-off arm mentioned above.

This same movement, with electric winding, is shown on page 16 of the Seth Thomas tower clock catalogue (number 8), republished in 2000 by Robert J. Kolyer, of which I have a copy. The movement at hand is manual wind, and always has been. The sprockets are present, as is the chain, but the weigh and bottom pulleys, if it was so equipped originally, are missing.

If anyone here has seen one of these, or has photos of an original example, or, better yet, owns one, I would love to hear from you. I would like to find an original weight/pulley assembly if possible. Failing that, I will have to have something made, so it will be helpful to see what it is supposed to look like, what it weighs, etc. IMG_20191124_132409 (2).jpg IMG_20191124_132420 (2).jpg IMG_20191124_132241 (2).jpg IMG_20191124_132331 (2).jpg IMG_20191124_132324 (2).jpg IMG_20191124_132348 (2).jpg IMG_20191124_132403 (2).jpg IMG_20191124_132355 (2).jpg IMG_20191124_132257 (2).jpg

PatH likes this.
  2. Eric Ryback

Eric Ryback Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Retired
    Saint Louis, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Peter, I have an original complete one. I also have weights, pulleys, etc. Call me. Eric

3. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Peter A. Nunes, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Wonderful! I'll be in touch.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I currently have a couple of the rewind switch brackets that I'll be having re-cast. They are from a #14. Very similar rack, just from a striking clock instead of time only. Sounds like Eric may have the majority of info you're looking for, but if we cast a handful of these maybe we could make a couple more to help your cause. Let me know if you need pictures or anything. I may have some.

On a related note. That "skip link" chain really sucks to find in its original form. If anyone has a provider of such chain, please let me know. I know there are some similar more modern interpretations, but it looks slightly different. Never priced it out, either.

5. Eric Ryback

NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Retired
    Saint Louis, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have skip link chain, and master links, but it is very expensive and impossible to find.

6. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, that's been our finding as well. The stuff that's being made now (I think it was a German company) seemed to be the only stuff I could find and still didn't look the same.

7. Eric Ryback

NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Retired
    Saint Louis, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you need any skip link I have original stuff in various sizes. let me know size and how much and I will quote you a price.

8. Eric Ryback

NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Retired
    Saint Louis, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you need any skip link I have original stuff in various sizes. let me know size and how much and I will quote you a price.

scootermcrad likes this.
  9. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Will do. Thank you! It will be a long while before we need it (if we need it), but I will reach out to you first for sure. I appreciate it!