An unexpected purchase

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by 12lb weight, Feb 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 12lb weight

12lb weight Registered User

Jun 3, 2019
    Male
    Still alive, takes all my time
    Norfolk UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good afternoon, Wading the rthe auction sites the other day, I came across a Clock Wrongly described as a Longcase. I entered a low bid of £200 a nd was surprised to find that I had bought it for £170. I got it home and phoned the name on the dial, S.Michlmeyer, who happens to be quite near to me. They tell me that about 25 year ago a man brought in a turret clock movement with the instruction to get it working , and make it into an interesting clock for his dining room in a very big and old house.They did this at considerable expense and heard no further until I called. Their records were patchy and they could tell me no further information.
    Would one of you knowledgeable people please let me know what it is that is taking up a corner of my kitchen,
    (my wife loves it), as I know nothing about turret clocks.There is no makers name and the plates are thick brass so I assume this is Victorian. It does have bolt and shutter maintaining power , but is only single train.
    Thanks

P1010160.JPG P1010161.JPG P1010166.JPG P1010171.JPG P1010173.JPG P1010181.JPG P1010182.JPG

musicguy and Dave T like this.
  2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It seems to have been a bargain, but I can't help any more than that.

3. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    totally cool... and a total deal. that looks like a quality movement, a substantial weight and pendulum, and a project someone put a lot of time into.

are you going to go through it? is it running?

4. 12lb weight

Jun 3, 2019
    Male
    Norfolk UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is running perfectly and keeping time to within a minute a week. To be honest I just bought it as a punt , but my wife is taken with it and it is therefore joining the clock collection as No. 48 !
    Would like to know a bit about it though.

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very cool!
    There is a section on Tower, Monumental and Street Clocks, maybe your post should be moved there to attract people with more expertise in tower clocks.

Uhralt

6. 12lb weight

Jun 3, 2019
    Male
    Norfolk UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Uhralt, how do I move It? or do I start again ?
    Regards

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can ask a moderator to move it for you. Just confirm this in this thread and one of them will read it and move it for you.

Uhralt

8. oldcat61

oldcat61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 12, 2008
    South Jersey
    You are a very lucky man; married to the right woman! Congrats, Sue

9. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I love the look of it. Nice acquisition.
    Ron

10. 12lb weight

Jun 3, 2019
    Male
    Norfolk UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes No Doubt about that !

11. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Screwed pillars would suggest not before very late 19th C, a very unusual arrangement and small for a turret clock movement.

12. 12lb weight

Jun 3, 2019
    Male
    Norfolk UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do you have any ideas what the original use could have been? I am assuming that the rods that transfer the drive to the hands via the gears could have been any length originally and therefore the dial could have been 10 feet above the movement.
    Curious as my wife has decided it is now in the kitchen and there it will stay!! Good for her, she is a great supporter of our expanding collection, which she is adding to net week .

13. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    what is the smaller winder for... setting the time? and, why are the small dial's numbers listed in reverse order? is that some kind of alarm thing?

14. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    yes, the small crank on the small dial is for setting the time. The numbers are reversed because the hands on the remote dials run clockwise and the shaft that drives the hands off the movement runs counterclockwise. Not entirely uncommon in tower clocks.

PatH and novicetimekeeper like this.
  15. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Has it appeared on this Forum before?
    I am sure I have seen something similar
    I do not have a clue what to put in the search feature to find it

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll tell you what it is... It's awesome! Fantastic buy! Congratulations! It looks to be a very nice little turret clock. I really hope you can find more information on it. Please keep us posted!

There are some nice gents in the UK that have helped me with my Turret clock questions. Maybe they can help you as well. A company called Cumbria Clock Company. They deal with all types and eras of Turret and Tower Clocks. Welcome to the Cumbria Clock Company - The Cumbria Clock Company If they don't have information they will at least be able to point you to someone who might, and at the very very least, will be fascinated by the unique find.

Good luck!