An Older Chelsea Boat Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Leigh Callaway, Apr 11, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Leigh Callaway

Leigh Callaway Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Upper Valley, New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Had this for some time, just now investigating. Chelsea 4" porcelain dial, time only, brass case with screw on bezel. Serial # on movement is 69301 which puts it between 1910 and 1914. Dial is labeled "The Hoffecker Co. BOSTON." Rate adjustment on dial is a pointer at the 2 o'clock position. Complete and running.
    If anyone knows stuff like model number, jewelling, etc. I'd be most appreciative. Any ideas on repairing the dial? This could get expensive...
    Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Leigh,

The Hoffecker Co. made clocks and speedometers for automobiles - early cars did not have clocks.

Leave the dial alone - anything anyone might do could damage it. It is an antique!

Andy Dervan

3. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Leigh I agree with Andy, a very nice clock and the damage is really only noticeable when the bezel is opened, I have a porcelain dial that someone in their infinite wisdom touched up with white out that now has nicely turned yellow.
    Bruce

4. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Looks like it might be a 7 jewel ( just a guess)
    Two on each end of the balance staff. One for
    the roller pin and one for each pallet. I don't
    see jewels anywhere else.
    Tinker Dwight

5. Leigh Callaway

Leigh Callaway Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Upper Valley, New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Leigh Callaway, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    The clock was just overhauled - it was "full of oil". Research by the American Clock and Watch Museum indicates it's a car clock:
    "From the serial number on the movement it was made in 1911. From the catalog of Chelsea clocks this was the 'Auto Clock A' It was offered in 3", 3 1/2" and 4" Dials. Your model was supplied to the Hoffecker Co. with some modifications. The model supplied has a slow/fast lever off to one side as opposed to being placed above the number 12. The Chelsea Clock Co. most likely supplied their timepieces modified to suit the customer."

In other car clocks, the movement is hinged on the bezel and swings out to wind and set. Others are wound and set by rotating the bezel. With this clock, one must unwind and remove the bezel, similar to the solid brass ships clock with the 12E movement. Just an observation.

Notwithstanding advice about the dial, I had it repaired. I like it a lot.

IMG_5046.JPG IMG_5047.JPG

PatH likes this.