• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

An interesting and useful Hand puller (Review)

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
I bought this Chinese needle hand puller on ebay. It is nicely finished and comes with 3 sizes of pullers and "needles" for putting the force on the hand arbor.

The needle is advanced via a screw and gradually lifts the hand. It is good enough for aircraft clock hands as shown, so it will work on watches.

This system means a dial protector is truly a backup as nothing touches the dial. It also avoids pulling the hand off the pipe (very annoying).

Some of the pullers are not aligned to the center correctly, but this can be corrected by removing the very thin bridge between the two jaws. I don't think it provides all that much structure.

This is much better than the Presto puller, D tweezers, or levers (my standard). I was hoping to use it to remove chrono drive wheels but I have not figured out how to adapt it.

IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1046.JPG

praezis

Feb 11, 2008
Germany
Country
Region
Thank you for the hint.
How thick are those slotted plates - are they rigid enough to pull stubborn PW rollers?

Frank

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
Country
Thank you for the hint.
How thick are those slotted plates - are they rigid enough to pull stubborn PW rollers?

Frank
Frank,

It may just. You might have to turn up new needles though. Plate thickness is about 30/100mm.

I know I am not suggesting anything new to you, but what about holding the roller in a collet and turning the balance by straddling the arms with a tweezer?

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
Country
How exactly does it avoid this? It is still "pulling" on the underside of the flat portion of the hand, correct?

Cheers, Al
Al,

There are three sized slots. They lift by pulling on the underside of the shoulder of the pipe. If the hand is frictioned to the pipe (many modern ww's) then ti may well take the hand off the pipe. And I agree that is very annoying.

praezis

Feb 11, 2008
Germany
Country
Region
It may just. You might have to turn up new needles though. Plate thickness is about 30/100mm.
Thank you for that info.

I know I am not suggesting anything new to you, but what about holding the roller in a collet and turning the balance by straddling the arms with a tweezer?
I fear that would be a competition: what is tighter, roller or rivet? But I use this method regularly to pull the finger from chronograph runners.
Probably Chris showed the tool. But I never saw this in Europe.

Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnfn70
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller