An Exciting Find

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Keith Conklin, Sep 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Keith Conklin

Keith Conklin Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2018
    Male
    Selden, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi All,

I have been reading the forum posts for a while now and I just want to say how proud I am to be a member of NAWCC. Compared with other forums the people here are truly gentlemen and the comradery and professionalism are really refreshing. That being said, I think I have stumbled on something of real interest.

The first clock I ever owned is a Kundo Anniversary clock. My wife and I bought it new in the box from a small clock shop in Newark New Jersey back in 1995. I was hooked!

The other day I was reading the biography of Charles Terwilliger written by his son Robert. While reading this I became aware of the existence of Mr.Terwilliger’s book The Horolovar Collection
    Limited Edition. The bibliophile in me awoke and the hunt was on.

I purchased this on Amazon:
    upload_2018-9-17_9-27-14.png

But the excitement increased when I carefully opened the front cover and saw this:
    upload_2018-9-17_9-27-50.png

And this:
    upload_2018-9-17_9-28-25.png

The name Robert rang a bell and I went back to Robert’s biography (isn’t the internet an amazing tool?) and found that a man named Robert Creamer (a fascinating and important person in his own right) was the bookkeeper/financial guy for the Horolovar company. Click the link and find that Mr. Creamer’s wife’s name was Margaret. I then googled the significance of the letter “L” and read: A lettered edition is a specific variety of limited edition that is characterized by letters of the alphabet with each book assigned a letter.

As an avid book person and an amateur horologist I feel really privileged to own something that, much like my old Connecticut clocks, brings me closer to a moment from the past.

Thanks,

Keith

Dave T likes this.
  2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pretty cool find! Congrats!

3. Keith Conklin

Keith Conklin Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2018
    Male
    Selden, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks,
    Only problem now is I'm afraid to read/enjoy the book for what it is, a book!
    It has kinda taken on the status of "rare manuscript".

4. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great find! Hope you got a good price.

Thankfully almost all of the useful information is in the 10th edition of the repair guide. The collection was broken up and sold off and a lot of the descriptions are not completely accurate anyway. Still I think it's a must have for a serious torsion clock collector. I do refer to my copy on occasion.

Eric

Keith Conklin likes this.
  5. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Now... To find the clock mentioned.
    Nice find!