An 18s 21j Bunn Special Damaskeen Pattern You Don't See Every Day - The 7th Pattern - All Over Gold Circular with Gold Filled Engraving

grtnev

NAWCC Member
Jan 18, 2009
Minden, Nevada
Country
Region
The 18s, 21j, Bunn Special, ca: 1906, in the attached pictures is a recent acquisition.

Various sources indicate that potentially as many as:
1183 movements were produced with the 7th damascene pattern without being marked "Extra".​
983 movements were produced with the 7th damascene pattern and were marked "Extra"​
550 movements were produced with the 8th damascene pattern​

In the "18 Size Bunn Special Research" thread: https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/18-size-bunn-special-research-thread.109980/page-2 ;

Nigel Harrison asked the following question regarding whether or not all of the 7th and 8th damascene pattern movements were produced.
" For how few I have seen of these watches over the last 10 years surely there were not that many produced in total for each of these variants. Generally other uncommon watches that have production figures of around the 1000, I have seen a much higher number of then compared to these Bunn Special variants. "

Fred Hansen replied - "A number of the scarcer Bunn Special 18 size variants are likely [to have] a good deal lower actual production than what is estimated in the Meggers' book or Russ Snyder's database, with the more common variants making up a high percentage of the runs that these watches are found in. It will take a lot of data collection to really sort out exactly what is in each of the runs and to really nail down accurate estimates on each variant. Eventually that is what a thread like this can accomplish, and with enough input from collectors it can be done here."

This is the first 7th damascene pattern variant, 18s, 21j, Bunn Special that I have run across in the past 20 years.

Additionally, the dial is a private label for A. M. Kirk & Son jewelers, that had its business location on the corner of Filbert and State streets, Curwensville, Pa. The founder of the business was A. M. Kirk, later brought his son, Henry P. Kirk, into the business. A. M. Kirk was born October 5, 1849, at Lumber City, Pa., and died at Curwensville, September 19, 1904.

Richard

M1.JPG M2.JPG M3.JPG M4.JPG Dial 1.JPG Dial 2.jpg Dial 3.JPG DB1.jpg DB2.jpg

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Reactions: grtnev

grtnev

NAWCC Member
Jan 18, 2009
Minden, Nevada
Country
Region
Pictures I showed in the 1st post of this thread were before cleaning and servicing. In the picture of the movement in the first post, several dark dot spots are noted near the center of the movement which were debris that are no longer there after cleaning.

Thought I'd post a picture of the movement and dial after cleaning - the movement really pops - hard to do it justice with a picture.

Richard

DSC00321.JPG DSC00317.JPG

Brad Maisto

Oct 1, 2000
Grandview, IN
Country
Region
Tom,
If you do find the building that housed the “jewelry” store back in the day, can you please post a picture in this thread? Asking for a friend, Brad Maisto, KY Floral #44 Secretary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DexterRM
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner