German AMS Cuckoo Movement

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Dave Heise, Sep 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Heise

Dave Heise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Male
    Retired - self-employed service provider for medic
    Timonium (just North of Baltimore) MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've taken a cuckoo clock in - single bird with two animated gentlemen hoisting beer mugs - which obviously needs a thorough cleaning. The only markings on the straight bar back plate are "Germany" and "140". Searching the Kochmann index of plates, I find that this is an AMS movement (top of Page 328) and I am unfamiliar with AMS as a manufacturer.
    Can anyone shed any light on this? Possible range of years in business, etc?
    Will get a photo up soon......
    Thanks in advance.

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave,

AMS could be Alois Mayer, but a picture of the movement would be most helpful.

Regards.

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    #3 JTD, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    This is likely the firm of Alois Mayer, Schoenenbach, manufacturers of cuckoo and other novelty black forest clocks. The company is old-established (more than 100 years) and still in business. Without seeing the clock, who can tell how old it might be - from what you say it sounds perhaps to be fairly modern.

JTD

4. Dave Heise

NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here you go. Not the best photo in the world but, you'll get the idea. Only markings in the lower right are 'Germany' and '140'.

DSCN0621.JPG

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    It's a Baduf movement. It's a pretty good movement but likely past due for some bushing work. Check the clicks and click wheels closely for wear. Willie X

6. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Need Cuckoo clock info

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Hey, the missing post came back. Ha
    Willie

8. Dave Heise

NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gentlemen, I compared the information in your replies with information contained in the Kochmann Encyclopedic Index and I must disagree - this is definitely an AMS movement. The defining attributes are these: the movement that I'm looking at has a 'closed-top arch' that surrounds the escapement pivot ebauche. While one of the Baduf movements also has the same closed-top construction, the arch is offset rather than centered like that of the AMS. Another telltale sign is that the plates have eased edges rather than sharp corners as is commonly found on modern-day stamped out plates. I've documented these differences in an MS Word document with photos but lack the knowledge how to attach such a document to this post. Comments?

9. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave,

Does the Kochmann index have pictures of an AMS movement with the AMS trademark?

Regards.

10. Dave Heise

NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No trademark - the drawings are way too small.
    Photos of the clock itself were requested. They are attached and despite the fact that it appears to be plastic/resin, it is, in fact, wood! The drinkers raise and lower their glasses when the cuckoo crows......

DSCN0623.JPG DSCN0624.JPG DSCN0625.JPG DSCN0626.JPG

11. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Nice clock.

The difference in the AMS and Baduf are very small, almost negligible. I would definately say that somehow the two were connected somewhere in their manufacturing history, if not the same company, but who knows? And, I doubt if the difference would make any impact at all on the attributes of the overall clock.

Willie X

12. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #12 Willie X, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Here's one like yours. It has a 403 at the lower corner, no stamp. It's a common movement seen during the cold war build up period. This one was 1968? Willie X
    20180424_114152.jpg