• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

American Watch Advertising

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
A couple of meager offerings to bump this thread back up. The case bags were found at the bottom of flea market boxes. I’d suppose packaging qualifies as advertising? The postcard, postmarked 1906, says it is a souvenir of the Waltham Watch Co.and is cool because it acknowledges the original Marsh Bros. watch. -Cort

View attachment 650679 View attachment 650680
Cort, I absolutely love that advertisement!

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
I’ve tried assemble a set of portrait postcards of each watch company. Here are a few of them. One pair shows the same building but as the U.S.Watch Factory and also the E.Howard factory. Next is the Seth Thomas Co. and a nice “ hand tinted” view of Dueber-Hamden. Last is a pair of Manistee factory cards. One these is a “real photo” card and you can even see overhead pulleys through the windows.-Cort

3CCDEF61-85FC-4740-81DE-6964E23E6F7A.jpeg 6A8C822F-0BB1-43BD-A4A0-217FB6BDF00D.jpeg View attachment 670667 9B25A444-0968-44D1-B267-81A12E15D5C8.jpeg

Last edited:

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Cort, for some reason, the Manistee cards aren't showing. (edit - they show now.) These postcards can tell so much about how the factories changed over the years, including subsequent use by other factories. Another advantage of collecting cards and photographs is that they are easily transportable and don't take up much room in the collection. :)

Here are some additional Dueber views, including one that appears to be a real photo postcard. A couple are low res, but I think they will enlarge some if you click on them.

D-H factory front 1909.jpeg D-H watch works Canton postcard2 front.jpeg Dueber watch case factory Canton 1912 front.jpeg Dueber watch factory Canton OH.jpeg D-H watch works Canton crop.jpg

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
As Pat points out, sometimes a building built for a watch factory can become something else. A perfect example would be the Aurora factory which became a corset factory. I got this postcard for my PC collection from Greg F. many years ago. It apparently is the only way to get a PC of this building.-Cort

C5BE8088-B510-44E8-B805-AE25D516A57F.jpeg

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
This is an Elgin advertising postcard that is postmarked 1914. Just too cool to not add to the collection.

Hardland Stewart was born in Missouri in 1867. He moved to San Francisco as a young man with his brother and genealogy research says they became street car motormen. Married in 1890 and had a few children.

By 1906 he is listed as a watchmaker and jeweler at 4041 24th street. He also had the Palmer theater built and owned it, which was located at 4045 24th street. It was built a year or so after this postcard. It still stands and has been remodeled into a Wells Fargo.

Harland sent this postcard to his brother and sister for new years 1914.

Note the Panama Pacific Exposition stamp on the back. Just thought that was neat.
elgincardfront.jpg elgincardback.jpg
Anyone have a movement or dial marked for Stewart?

Last edited:

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
Very neat card really. I know some S.F. dial collectors and will ask if they’ve seen a Steward dial. The Panama-Pacifific Expo was promoted for years before it opened. I have some 1911 photos of the air show which include the Wright bi-plane in flight that has “Future Exposition Site” emblazoned on a hillside in the background.-Cort

darrahg

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 22, 2006
Houston
Country
Region
Here is a watch key similar to those shown in threads #37 and #95 but has the following information:
Swivel loop has 9/1874 on one side and Patented on the other.
One Side of the key has 'J.H & R.E. Hoffman, Bucyrus, Ohio' while the other side has 'Agent Rockford Watch'.
Rockford watch key of Bucyrus OH 4 side one.jpg Rockford watch key of Bucyrus OH side one.jpg Rockford watch key of Bucyrus OH 3 side two.jpg Rockford watch key of Bucyrus OH side two.jpg

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
As Pat points out, sometimes a building built for a watch factory can become something else. A perfect example would be the Aurora factory which became a corset factory. I got this postcard for my PC collection from Greg F. many years ago. It apparently is the only way to get a PC of this building.-Cort

View attachment 672103
As I recall, the E. Howard & Co. factory building in Roxbury was converted into a galoshe factory after an attempt by professional arsonists to burn the building down was foiled.

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
Very nice, thanks!

From my reading so far, the Vasco Nunez de Balboa Stamp was issued in 1913, which I thought was early, but 1911 wow.
The Expo, which celebrated San Francisco’s recovery from the 1906 earthquake as well as the completion of the Panama Canal, was a big deal. This detail from one of my photos of the pre-expo air show was taken Jan. 21st 1911 shows “Exposition Site Tanforan 1915” on the hill. -Cort

09746F2C-695F-4A5C-A01B-6F3A0EA55B79.jpeg

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
As I recall, the E. Howard & Co. factory building in Roxbury was converted into a galoshe factory after an attempt by professional arsonists to burn the building down was foiled.
Another example of watches to footwear was the Berkeley Watch Co. which which was a shoe factory next.-Cort

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
If I'm recalling correctly, at least part of the International Watch Company (New Jersey dollar type watches) factory became a tire factory, and part of it at some point became a tobacco factory.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
In honor of World Postcard Day today (October 1st), here are a couple of Ingersoll real-photo advertising postcards. Shortly after the turn of the century, real-photo postcards (RPPCs) were created by both professional and amateur photographers, and were printed directly on the card from photographs.

The first card is a gentleman holding the Ingersoll Jumbo advertising "watch" like the one shown in the last picture. The back of the watch comes off to reveal a small wind up alarm clock type movement. These pieces came with a chain and an actual Ingersoll watch as the fob as seen in the picture. This card is dated 1906 on the front, and is also postmarked 1906. Even without the printed dates, from the undivided back that says "This side for address", we could tell that this card is likely from prior to 1907. This is not a hard and fast rule since undivided backs continued to be produced for a while, but in March 1, 1907, a new postal regulation allowed a printed line to divide the back with the right half for the address and left for a message.

The second shows a store front, complete with the name of the jeweler/owner and an Ingersoll advertising sign. This one is not dated, but is after 1907 since the back is divided. Some sources indicate that the CYKO (company that produced the postcard stock) stamp box shown on this card was used from 1904 until as late as the 1920s.

Photographs of all kinds are very useful in helping date horological items - watches, clocks, factories, styles, etc.

Ingersoll Jumbo watch photo front.jpg Ingersoll Jumbo watch photo reverse.jpg Ingersoll sign RPPC front.jpg Ingersoll sign RPPC reverse.jpg Ingersoll Jumbo advertising watch.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrono55
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-