American Watch Advertising

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
Yeah, I just looked more closely, and it has marks at the top that seems to indicate it seated a kerosene burner at one point.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Wow... I beat the hell out of Google a while back, when I got it and came up dry. Thanks for confirming it is a lamp of some sort... kerosene probably?

Now I will have to find a suitable donor lamp. LOL

Thanks again, Ralph

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Make sure you size the collar,looks to be a 1 or a 0. what a great lamp !
Bruce

James Wrobel

NAWCC Member
Jan 17, 2020
Country
A great thank you to PatH for referencing the Feb 1995 Bulletin article. Being from Rockford, it is fascinating.

jjw

Reactions: PatH

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
A Rockford ad that was printed on paper, so not a trade card? It is listed in Ron Scbieber’s “It’s About Time /Pocket watch Trade Cards” -Cort

View attachment 637646
Cort,

Neat. I have an example of this piece that came as an insert in an 1880s Rockford product line brochure. There might also be card stock version but I'm not sure.

Greg

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
There seem to be 3 cards, plus the one that Rich posted for a total of 4, that were available in this set from H. Muhr's Sons. I've not seen a specific date for these cards, but the middle card below is from the New Orleans Exposition, which was a world's fair called the World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial or Cotton Centennial, that ran from December 1884 until June 2, 1885.

Edit: Oops, looks I had posted these earlier in this thread. :oops:. At least I added a bit about the dating on them this time.

Crown filled case - Ajax.jpeg Crown filled case boy and girl NO Expo front.jpg Crown filled case jester and balloon.jpeg

Last edited:

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Cort, thanks for posting another card from the New Orleans Expo! As an aside...That design, and the one with the maze, seem to be more difficult to find, and when they do appear, they are usually more expensive.

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
The puzzle card is the key one. One of our chapter members has the complete set and his is the only one I’ve seen. It’s the only one I’m missing, well, except for a couple of the very early ones.-Cort

Reactions: PatH

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
The Boss cards are very interesting. Not to show a complete set/list or to bore anyone, here's a bit of what I've found when reading and collecting these cards.

I think this is the first Boss card, noting the award from the 1878 Paris Exposition. This card is larger (4.75x3 inches) than the later cards and the text on the reverse is different. Note, too, the depiction of the Boss train running over the Swiss case while the English and French cases seem to be avoiding the oncoming train.

It seems that the early cards had simple imagery with no mention of Boss on the front of the card. I don't have any of the cards that I believe to be the next cards made (6 pictured in Ron Scheiber's list, and designated as series 1). Due to the imagery and text on the reverse, the second and third cards pictured below seem to follow the early series. Although the card with the owl is attributed to Boss in Scheiber's list, the one I found does not have the Boss printing on the back. Others in this series seem to have Boss printing on the back with a message stamped in red over the other text.
Some cards were available in two or more color schemes, and as seen below, the font on the back is different. I think the full color version is newer than the more monochromatic color scheme that has the same printed text without the red overprint message.

Boss - Paris expo front.jpg Boss - Paris expo reverse.jpg Boss Chinese owl kite front.jpg Boss Chinese owl kite reverse paper residue.jpg Boss Chinese fish on hook front.jpg Boss Chinese fish on hook reverse.jpg Boss - chinese hot air balloon colored front.jpg Boss - chinese hot air balloon colored reverse.jpg Boss - Chinese hot air balloon front.jpeg Boss - Chinese hot air balloon reverse.jpeg

Last edited:

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
A couple of meager offerings to bump this thread back up. The case bags were found at the bottom of flea market boxes. I’d suppose packaging qualifies as advertising? The postcard, postmarked 1906, says it is a souvenir of the Waltham Watch Co.and is cool because it acknowledges the original Marsh Bros. watch. -Cort

EED88AC9-6511-4FA2-B037-EA67955CA7A4.jpeg E5239470-AB22-4F87-B780-2AC9B7F2917F.jpeg

Last edited:

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Very cool, Cort! I wonder if the card is from the New Orleans World Cotton Centennial in 1884. If I recall they had a souvenir booklet from that Fair. Are there any other indicators of where it would have been used?

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
The postcard, postmarked 1906, says it is a souvenir of the Waltham Watch Co.and is cool because it acknowledges the original Marsh Bros. watch. -Cort
This image was also used in an undated 40-page Waltham brochure - "Home of the Waltham Watch" - which I believe was from 1906 or later as it mentions Waltham's Colonial Series watch. Most of the brochure is talking about the Waltham factory, its history and how it treats its employees. A copy is available on the internet archive.
cover.jpg p3.jpg

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
Not a watch manufactures advertisement, but a 1883 Lottery Ticket offered by George C. Schreiber’s Dealer in Dry Goods (4th annual distribution of 60 presents).
Note:
Two Solid Gold Watches
Four Silver Watches
I’m not sure if this ticket, No. 15843 was a winner, but I doubt it, because the winner would have had to surrender the ticket.
Dave 9C9C11E5-7905-441F-8083-12560B90DC4D.jpeg E0EB04D5-818E-4073-95F3-8623717A89B6.jpeg

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Win one of 25 Waterbury watches and don't be late for the electric street cars that are coming! Based on the number on the first card (4,962), it appears that the program must have raised some interest - or maybe it was the fear of missing the street car that provided the incentive to enter?;)

Snow and Hays Waterbury 1 front.jpg Snow and Hays Waterbury 1 reverse.jpg Snow and Hays Waterbury 2 front.jpg Snow and Hays Waterbury 2 reverse.jpg Snow and Hays Waterbury 3 obverse.jpg Snow and Hays Waterbury 3 reverse.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dave w D
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre