American Waltham Watch Co. Model 1890

Cjspepper

Feb 16, 2011
I have a Waltham ladies watch holding serial # 11645776. It is a grade - Seaside (not sure what that means), balance Breguet Spring, Comment 54 (not sure about this meaning either) Rim shows #4600, case has CWCCO star and moon symbol and Trade Mark, case serial # 1354600. It is a ladies tri-colored gold watch with "Warranted {CRESCENT} 25 Years inside of case.

It is currently not winding up but all movements worked before this part broke. I am researching cost of repairs so that I can place up for sale.

I am looking for any additional information or history that someone on this forum can provide.

Thanks so much and hope everyone is doing well. 84508.jpg 84512.jpg 84513.jpg 84514.jpg 84515.jpg 84516.jpg 84517.jpg 84518.jpg 84519.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi Cjspepper:

Welcome to the NAWCC American Pocket Watch Message Board!

The Seaside grade is a name that Waltham to the grade, denoting the quality of the movement (see the Watch Grades Encyclopedia article) - which is not particularly high.

Comment 54 refers to a note on page 54 of the book Serial Numbers With Description of Waltham Watch Movements, Waltham Watch Co., Waltham, MA, 1954, (commonly referred to as "The Gray Book"), from which the data was extracted to build the data base in which you looked up the information.

The movement was built in about 1903 give or take a couple of years.

The watch case is gold-filled (see the Case Material Encyclopedia article), built by the Crescent Watch Case Co. The #4600 on the rim is merely the last four digits of the case serial number. This was done during manufacturing to keep the parts of the case together prior to final assembly.

It sounds like the mainspring broke, but you'll need an assessment from the person you get to fix it.

Good luck,

Bratdaddy@mac.com

Dec 1, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Country
Cjspepper;532381 said:
Sad to know that this is not a very good watch. Maybe not worth fixing.
Please don't confuse money with value. If owning the watch makes YOU happy, and if owning this watch in its best mechanical condition enhances your pride of ownership, then go for it. You've no obligation to follow investor/collectors. Collect what makes you happy. Simple.

Cjspepper

Feb 16, 2011
Not really a collector. This was left in a Will from a lady that I used to watch the Antique shows with along with some other jewelry. I have kept it for over 14 years and have recently decided to repair it again and place up for sale. I could use the funds for my kids college fund. I thought that with the unique face, that it would bring something worth fixing and selling. It sounds like it is not worth putting money into. Thanks though.

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Just to give you an idea what you are looking at to repair the watch if it is just the mainspring, the spring would cost between $10-20, the disassembly, cleaning, oiling and reassembly will be in the $100-150 range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deeqdacad
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff