• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

American American tall case clock

DR.K

Oct 10, 2018
Country
I recently purchased at auction this clock and would welcome any information anyone can provide I have a couple of photos to help It is about 7.5 ft tall in a walnut case

IMG_0450.jpg IMG_0452.jpg IMG_0454.jpg

DR.K

Oct 10, 2018
Country
Movement is unusual to me as the chime mechanism uses a key through the dial. It has a tube gong for the hour powered by weight and rod chime powered by the key wind mechanism

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Spittlers and Bailey's Clockmakers and Watchmakers of America mention the American Chime Clock Co. as operating between ca. 1916-29 in Nicetown, PA. (Nicetown-Tioga is a neighborhood in the No. Phila. section of Philadelphia.) The company sold banjo and grandfather clock case kits, assembled kits and installed the movements acquired elsewhere, and sold complete clocks.

I'm not sure into which of the above categories your clock fits. As David mentioned, the movement is a New Haven. From what I see of the case, it appears similar to New Haven's Sherbrooke model which Tran Duy Ly's book on New Haven clocks shows from the 1911 catalogue. But the catalogue description mentions that it could be fitted with a Westminster Chime movement chiming on cathedral gongs. Although 1911 is before the estimated dates of the American Chime Clock Co., it might have been offered several years after 1911. Of course, I am not certain it is the Sherbrooke model.

DR.K

Oct 10, 2018
Country
I finally got pictures of the clock case so Steven could compare to the Sherbrooke he spoke about.

IMG_0479.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I finally got pictures of the clock case so Steven could compare to the Sherbrooke he spoke about.

View attachment 532652
It's not really a match for the Sherbrooke, at least so far as can be told from the 1911 catalogue illustration.

Sherbrooke.JPG

I also found no real match with any other Longcase clock in Tran. That's not to say it isn't a New Haven case, and possibly it was made specially for the American Chime Clock Co. However, as I mentioned above, there are other possibilities.

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
This could be a potential marriage (although it could also be a custom design from New Haven for the American Chime Clock Co.) All of the New Haven hall clocks with the Westminster Willcock option utilized a weight driven Willcock movement that was seated behind and below the time and strike movement. The unused fastener on the corner of the Willcock movement also raises suspicion. I would pay close attention to the interaction levers that allow the movements to communicate with one another and see if they looked like later additions to the time/strike mechanism. However, the winding hole in the face looks original and would match up with the winding arbor of the spring driven Willcock movement.

A very interesting clock that I wouldn't mind owning!