American Tall Case Clock Book

A

apjarvis

Hi,

I would like to get a recommendation on a good book on American Tall Case Clocks; 1700-1900. All recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,

Allan

A

apjarvis

Hi,

I would like to get a recommendation on a good book on American Tall Case Clocks; 1700-1900. All recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,

Allan

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Hello Allan,

I do not know of any book that just discusses American Tall Case clocks. A number of books discuss them as part of general discussions, by Regions, by makers, etc.

Tall clocks are also divided into brass movements and wooden movements.

Earliest American made tall clock dates from about 1750 and were made about to about 1830/40 when their popularity died out. Production began again around 1900 as Chiming Hall Clocks.

If you want some particular references let me know and I can go through my library and come out with some recommendations.

Andy Dervan
Misc Board Moderator

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

National Library Chair
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Sussex New Jersey USA
www.hsn161.com
Country
Region
I think Andy is right, there has never been a serious monograph published solely dedicated to the American tall case clock.

However there are some very good sources covery parts of the subject, even if some of them are hard to locate:

If you are interested in the early, ie wooden movement tall cases there is nothing more valuable than a complete set of "Cog Counters Journal" a periodic but irregular newsletter published by the late Ward Francillion that is full of facts on these wonderfull movements.

If you are interested in the best of the best, the masterworks, you should try to get your hands on the published catalog of the exhibition put on in Columbiaabot 7 years ago that also featured the Rittenhouse clock.

If your interest is primarily New England focused the book by Zea on the content of the Wells Chaney collection in Old Sturbridge Village will give you much information.

For more factory made clocks there are some earlier volumes by LY that contain many reproduced catalog illustrations helpfull for identifying pieces.

Hope this helps. The LARC in Columbia can loan you some of this stuff.

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
36Colors
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre