American Steam Gauge 10 inch clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Bruce Barnes, Sep 4, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    This is one that I purchased at the National in Pasadena this year and is in the process of being cleaned and polished.It keeps great time and the dial is stil about 95% with just a few blemishes.
    Bruce

Gay Engineering.jpg

2. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice addition. Thanks for sharing. Guess I'd be thinking about how best to display it. Maybe something like a low pedestal with a wide footprint.

3. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Exactly my thinking Scottie,this was the original stand and it even has most of the old green felt on the bottom.....now to find a craftsman to make the pedestal.What makes this interasting is you find very few clocks of this nature with any west coast reference amd this corporation was very active in the rail and citrus industry with their refrigeration innovations.
    Bruce

4. the 3rd dwarve

the 3rd dwarve Registered User

Nov 3, 2000
    Hi Bruce,

That’s a great looking clock with a great dial. I think American Steam Gauge clocks are scarcer than either Ashcroft or Crosby.

Now that you’re hooked on engine room clocks you’ll have to get a pressure gauge and a revolution counter in the same case style to mount together like they would have been mounted on the bulkhead in the engine room.

I had mine mounted individually but now I have them mounted on wooden panels I made to looks like old bulkheads.

Regards,
    Jeff

Attached Files:

5. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    f&c.jpg allis chalmers gates steel.jpg 9392234_1_l.jpg Thanks for all the nice comments and Jeff I have always admired and coveted your excellent collection.....:)
    As an update on the Allis Chalmers Clock, I have now collected two very old company name plates that were two of the three that merged with the Edwin P Allis company to form The Allis Chalmers company.I need one from the Dickson Manufacturing Company to complete the three.
    Bruce

6. the 3rd dwarve

the 3rd dwarve Registered User

Nov 3, 2000
    Bruce,

Which Dickson Mfg Co., the one that made steam boilers in Scranton, the one that made valves in Philadelphia, or another one?

Regards,

Jeff

7. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can somebody please explain "Steam Gauge Clock" to non-American members?
    Is it a clock built into a steam gauge housing, or what was the purpose?

8. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Jeff the Dickson Manufacturing Company is the one from Scranton,PA.....Jurgen the American Steam Gauge and Valve Company made a variety of items,boilers,pop valves etc and they had a large clientele that they made clocks for on a limited basis.They cast the cases and they were either finished brass or nickel plate and were mounted with either Seth Thomas,Chelsea and rarely Howard works.They were used in a variety of locales and usually by companies that were involved with steam applications.Sometimes they had revolution counters in conjunction with the clocks.
    As a clock they were very substantial,these two clocks way in at over 20 lbs each.
    The clock cases and works were not necessarily a primary vertical.
    Bruce

9. ClockMogul

ClockMogul Registered User

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steam Pressure Gauge.jpg Steam Gauge B.jpg Steam Gauge C.jpg

Hi bruce, I am really not a gauge Collector but i have a couple pretty nice Deep Dish with open centers...

10. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Hi C M,those are really great looking gauges and they appear to be in beautiful shape.If you ever run across any American Steam Gauge gauges give me a holler!
    Thanks,
    Bruce

11. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The one on the far left is a American Extra Deep Dish with large open center with 10 inch bezel..

12. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Nice gauge,I guess I really need to use my glasses.Did you just happen upon these or do you have a source that has gauges and or revolution counters?
    Regards,
    Bruce

13. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Bruce, All 3 of these gauges came from a lightbulb collecting friend of mine whom also is a serious gauge collector. Gauges are just like anything else, 2 ends of the spectrum. I have seen gauges that are over $10,000.00 or more..But for hte most part..Gauges are inexpensive and easy to find..I traded a couple pretty good lightbulbs to get that 10 inch American Extra Deep Dish. I also have what think is one of the earliest pair of large Steam Valves i have ever heard or or seen. These are just incredible looking..and yes they are just steam valves but they are off of a 1860's Fire Steam Pumper...

14. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    I'll bet those steam valves are great,examples of an era when there was a tremendous value placed on products and pride of workmanship. As Jeff M has mentioned, all of a sudden you find yourself collecting these items and it happens so quickly!! :)

Good gauges like yours are a little more difficult to find...........some gauges I have seen should be classified as metal scrap because of condition and care.

15. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the clarification, Bruce!

16. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A2.jpg

Lower right hand side of the cabinet on each side of the 1860's Gas meter are the 2 Steam Pumper Valves with Cast Iron handles...

17. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    What a great eclectic display....what is the large green unit that is behind the pumps?

18. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is one of the earliest attempt's of a Gas meter for measuring the amount of gas used.. It dates to late 1860's to early 1870's.. It has a a totally exposed mechanism inside that has a ornate butterfly attached to the bellows and as the bellows expand and contract it looks like the butterfly is flapping his wings.. Still has its original paint and gold pin stripping...

19. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks CM,interesting what we find to collect that seems to dovetail in with clock.
    Bruce