• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

American Clock Company Chicago Electrical Mech. Nut on Hand Shaft Tightens

RickThomes

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2004
Marietta, Ga
Country
Region
My American Clock Company nut that holds the minute hand on tightens and stops the clock over time. I am not sure what I am doing wrong when putting the hands on the shaft and then the washer and then nut. It seems that the minute hand washer turns with the minute hand and in turn tightens the nut to the point the clock stops. Any help is appreciated.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
this has been mentioned with some seth thomas clocks, as well.... both my clock mentor and i have this issue on our ST office calendar #1 clocks... not sure what causes it, but certainly have to be carefully when moving the hands forward to re-set the time.

RickThomes

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2004
Marietta, Ga
Country
Region
It’s just strange and I appreciate the reply . Let me know if you come up with a solution. Thanks

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
My guess is that the minute hand is touching either the hour hand or the hour cannon. That will cause just enough friction to cause the minute hand to drag while the shaft continues to turn, tightening the nut. When the nut gets tight enough that the shaft can't turn anymore, the clock stops.

RickThomes

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2004
Marietta, Ga
Country
Region
Thanks, I‘ll look and see if that is the case. Thanks for your reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
john33g
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-