American Clock Co. New York

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by ClocksCollector, Mar 9, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ClocksCollector

ClocksCollector Registered User

Aug 14, 2005
    I have an octagon time and strike wall clock that has an American Clock Co. label on the backboard. This label states the company is a grand depot for the following makers: Clark and Gilbert, Brewster and Ingraham, Terry and Andrews, J C Brown and others. Inside the case are instructions for maintaining the clock (in English). The movement is unmarked. The case is very similar to a Seikosha octagon wall clock. Is the former a reproduction with false labels? Any info would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know about the clock, but the labels are reproductions.

3. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    The American Clock Company of New York was a marketing organization that handled the distribution of Connecticut made timepieces. I recall reading that the company was organized and incorporated by several major US clock manufacturers around 1900.

That said, the movement in your example clock suspiciously resembles one of Japanese origin. The steel disks in front of the mainsprings is generally seen on Japanese made movements. Too, the verge retaining spring is unlike that used by Connecticut makers.

American Clock Co. of Chicago is not to be confused with the New York Company. American of Chicago was a product of Automatic Electric Company and they made some very fine battery clocks around the same time period.

4. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My references say 1849-1879 for the American Clock Co. referenced on the label in Clockscollector's clock. The clock itself seems much more recent than that.

Jeremy

5. Billy

Billy Registered User

Dec 14, 2004
    Male
    Locomotive Inspector
    Western NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a similar clock, I never did find much on it other than I think it is supposed to be an Ansonia repro.
    By who, whether it was a kit, or a running clock sold through outlets like JC Pennys we may never know.:?|

Mine does not have the labels.

All in all, they are a nice vintage clock, well made oak case with a decent movement.

Billy

6. Dean Dallmann

Dean Dallmann Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2020
    Retired
    Allentown, PA
    Country Flag:
    I too have a clock from the American Clock Co of NY and I've never been able to find anything even close to. If anyone has any information about this clock please share it.
    The case is solid wood. Not sure but it may be mahogany. It is really heavy. It has a single weight in a brass cylinder. The pendulum is somewhat ornate and weighted with liquid mercury. The movement is all brass and very simple. It is similar the movement in a Howard #8 that I have. It measures 69" x 27" at it's widest point. I would really like to learn something about this clock.

20200313_095852.jpg 20200313_095925.jpg 20200313_095908.jpg

7. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dean,

Beautiful clock.

If you read Post Number 3, above, The American Clock Company was created to market and distribute clocks from various Connecticut makers. Although I am not very knowledgeable with The American Clock Company, I have read a similar description of their activities elsewhere on this board.

If this description is accurate, then you will need to show pictures of the back of the movement (and possibly the front of the movement) for the experts here to advise you on the maker of the movement.

Regards.

8. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your clock is Japanese or other Asian, with a pasted on reproduction label.

9. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Larry,

Are you responding to Post Number 1 or Post Number 6?

Regards.

10. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 is a really nice clock. i am pretty confident it was made in the late 19c.

11. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dean
    Ithink your clock is a product of George Jones or H.L Davies. The pendulum and weight match their products although I would think that the pulley would
    be fancier and larger. Some of their clocks were sold through Terhune and EDwards of N.Y.city a contemporary of American clock co.

Would love to see the movement.

12. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    post one

13. jkfabulos

jkfabulos Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001
    This clock is a US Clock Co. I have owned a few of them and all of them were very similar to this one with some various trim differences.
    The movements are massive and all the ones I owned were marked US Clock. All were dead beat with jeweled pallets.
    The pendulum is unique to them and came in a few different sizes with some having fancy cut or dimpled jars.
    Reference Tran Du Ly American clocks volume 2 pages 316-318.
    A fabulous clock.

14. Dean Dallmann

Dean Dallmann Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2020
    Retired
    Allentown, PA
    Country Flag:
    I will get pics of the movement up tomorrow.

15. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    dean, if you could, would you please start a new thread? this is a really nice clock and i believe it warrants being on its own.

16. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps it would be better for a moderator to move Dean's posts and the responses to a new thread.

If he starts a new thread on his own, the duplicate threads will create confusion.

Regards

lpbp and brian fisher like this.