AMC Miniature, that's not rotation

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Picked this up at a yard sale today. It's been doing this jiggle for about an hour now, I don't know how. How do I get some action out of this thing, or is this how they are?

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
With little to go on, I'm guessing that AMC refers to plate 1004A which is a Kundo. According to the repair guide appendix, early versions of this clock tended to have poor rotation. It says that the anchor, escape wheel, and third wheel should be replaced such that the rotation can be improved. If that's all the rotation you're getting, then maybe you have one of those earlier versions.

Kurt

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
That's the one. If it runs and keeps time, fine. Just not a very exciting clock. Misfit. I'll put it next to the Haller midget, I don't think that thing will do much better.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Well, it won't run at all with the hands on. I tried raising and lowering the fork a bit, no help. There are good and equal pulses on the anchor pin, so it's getting power. I didn't know there were "bad" clocks out there, but I think I got one. I sent a message to Horolovar about anchor, escape wheel, and third wheel replacement. I'll see what they say. I'll keep at it.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Something doesn't seem right with the pendulum speed. The guide suggests that this should beat 10 times in 60 seconds. My rough calculations indicate that your clock is nearly double that. Likely the suspension spring is way, way too thick.

Kurt

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Yea, thought about that. I'm not sure what it is. It was in a package with two springs I had cut before. I do have some new .0023", guess I should have used one from there first. I'll do that after coffee.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Problem. Now and then the escape wheel will escape and just spin freely. One of the pallets has to be lowered. How would you approach this problem? I don't want to get things way out of whack. Seems to run pretty good otherwise, rotation is 270.

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Problem. Now and then the escape wheel will escape and just spin freely. One of the pallets has to be lowered. How would you approach this problem? I don't want to get things way out of whack. Seems to run pretty good otherwise, rotation is 270.
Try raising the fork a little more before you start messing with pallets. Especially if you have never adjusted them.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I adjusted the pallets on my Edgar Henn not long ago with great success, but I'll try raising the fork as you say, I'd rather not mess with the pallets, Thanks.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
How much did you move it? Try moving it more. From the repair guide, the shown distance the fork is below the top block is around 3.5mm. If find the guide tends to show the fork too high and I usually end up lowering it some. But you might try using the distance shown in the guide and go from there.

Kurt

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
No, pallets crashing into teeth, escape wheel spinning, lots of crap going on in there. Needs surgery.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
So, I clear about a 1 1/2 foot square on my bench for the pallet adjustment. I determined the exit pallet needed to be dropped .5mm. I start work on the pallet hovering over the center of that square, like inches above the surface. I get done with my adjustment, go to tighten it down, and the pallet screw is missing. Must have just dropped. I never left that area, any tools I used were right in that square, but I can't find it. Stuck to tools? No. Stuck to my hands, no. Stuck to my arms, no. I studied that square for probably a half hour before I dared move. I combed the floor with a bar magnet in case it found it's way there. I've spent an hour or more looking for that screw, it appears to have vanished into thin air. The pallet is still snug, but will it work it's way out? The clock looks to be running fine, time isn't flying by. I'll check it in a bit. I'll be looking for that screw forever. Bummer.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Hmmm, I was working on the exit pallet, the screw is missing from the entrance pallet. I don't think it was there to begin with, maybe I just didn't notice.

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
One reason to take pictures as you take a clock apart. Anyway I think all my kundo minatures have only one screw per pallet by design.

Wayne

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Wouldn't it be pretty clear when looking at the anchor to see how many threaded holes there are to know how many screws are needed?

Kurt

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Two holes, I assume two screws. Any, it's running. Lori responded to my inquiry about the two wheels and anchor to increase rotation. According to the figure, I already have the better configuration. That's good, over $80 for those three parts.

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Two holes, I assume two screws. Any, it's running. Lori responded to my inquiry about the two wheels and anchor to increase rotation. According to the figure, I already have the better configuration. That's good, over $80 for those three parts.
My kundo has been running for months with only 270 degrees of rotation. I have 3 Gustav beckers that only have about 200. I have 2 eurmacas that have about 450 degrees of rotation.
If it's running has decent over swing and keeping time I don't really pay much attention to making it rotate more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller