Always move hand backward?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by CJo, Jun 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CJo

CJo Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Semi Retired
    southwest Kansas.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a new one for me. This elderly lady told me that she always moves the minute hand on her clock backwards, like when she has let the time run down. She has a 1980 Howard Miller with Hermle 451-050. She got upset when I was moving the hand forward, she thought I was going to mess up the chiming sequence. I had told her the last time i was at her home that it was best to only go forward. This time she had the book, that came with the clock, out to show me in it where it says only move the minute hand backward. I was surprised to see it written up that way and was wondering if that is a misprint, or am I learning a new lesson after 18 years. I'm ready to take my licks with a wet noodle!:mallet:

IMG_3902.JPG IMG_3901.JPG

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well it shouldn't really matter which way, for most rack and snail clocks. They could have designed their clock better is what they are actually saying in the instructions..

3. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes the two Howard Miller clocks that I am responsible for are much easier to set moving the hands backwards. It is recommended by the manufacturer. Just turn em backwards till you get to the time setting you want. Do not stop on for anything. If turning FORWARDS. you have to stop and let it chime and or strike on the quarters. My 90+ year old mother, who read the manual, educated me on this.

4. CJo

CJo Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Semi Retired
    southwest Kansas.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, blow me down, learn something new every day. I did move the minute hand backward, and must admit that I didn't care for the way it felt as I was going by where about the warning would happen, but if it says this is okay in the instructions, I guess it must be. Thanks guys!

5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Before moving the minute hand backwards, you should check to make sure the rack tail pin has a taper so it will be pushed aside by the snail, or that there is some other mechanism to allow it to pass without binding. Same thing for the star cam that lifts the chime or strike lever. If either is not allowed to pass freely and you force it, you could damage something.

Tom

6. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Which is why it is wise to RTM.

7. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's always safe to recommend moving the hands the way they naturally move. Not all clocks can be turned backward like that, and it's just good practice to discourage it. If they don't want to wait for the chimes, they don't have to. Most clocks will fix themselves at the next hour. I have no idea why the instructions say they will get out of sync and not be able to recover if you do it that way. It's just not true.

jmclaugh and lpbp like this.
  8. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Like Shutterbug, I always tell people move the hands only clockwise, yes there are some that are made to go backwards but to make it simple, JUST FORWARD.

9. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just to add if it is a timepiece then if the hands allow you can do either, I always go for the shortest route.

10. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some chime clocks have the chime train's starwheel lever sitting upon a post which does not allow for the hands to go backwards - the minute arbor's starwheel will get jammed if trying otherwise. General rule around here is to only turn the hands backwards if it's a timepiece or the instructions state it's OK.

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think by "timepiece" the posters above mean time only. Those can go either way safely all the time.

chimeclockfan likes this.
  12. CJo

CJo Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Semi Retired
    southwest Kansas.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you everyone! I’m still for going forward on a chime unit, even if it’s okay to go backward.

13. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes. Whatever the instructions say on this particular clock. All the chime clocks I have seen otherwise in as long as I can remember have all been self correcting within the hour.

14. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently encountered a similar situation where the owner had been told to always go backwards with can be done with most Hermle's and other modern movements. However, I don't do it as a rule and always tell customers to go clockwise. If they don't to wait for all the chimes just note where the time is switch the clock to silent, (if it has a shutoff), and advance the clock to 3 minutes before the next quarter. Turn the silent lever chime on and then advance the hand to the next quarter. On Hermle's silent will make it run the next quarter when silent is turned back off. Of course, it will reset but I have had panicked people call and say the chime was off because they did not wait for the auto reset to happen. By stopping just short of that next quarter when the chime comes on it will be in warning for the coming quarter. This is easier shown than explained to the uninformed but this group knows what I mean.
    I had a customer who was told he could turn the hands either way. He did so on a very old Seth Thomas and I had to straighten all the levers afterward. I just say go forward only.

15. Ron Roberts

Ron Roberts Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 14, 2019
    I deal with customers and to almost all the movement and how it works is a great mystery. And they have no idea of whether their movement would allow the minute hand to be rotated counter clockwise without damage. So I always advise people to only move the minute hand clockwise.

16. James McDermaid

James McDermaid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    I always turn my clocks forward (clockwise). Some clocks have a means whereby if you turn it backwards it can slip over a ramp and not damage the release.

I can see in this case where if the clock stopped due to lack of winding you could reset the time by turning the minute hand backwards to the correct time of day without triggering the strike.

The snail would move backwards and the strike should remain synchronized with the time.

Most clocks that use the rack and snail will track the strike and time unless something is bent.

I mess with calendar clocks so if it stops I have to set the time so midnight is the calendar trip. then set the date (Forward) and then the strike (usually a little wire) you can touch to trip the strike. And don't be the guy that moves the hour hand to sync the strike.

Jim

17. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Why do you say that, James? On a rack and snail, that's the only logical way to do it. I'm guessing you mean something that's not too clearly stated ;)

18. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    Male
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is my $0.02 on this...

The following is what is written in the manual for my Howard Miller McArthur mantel clock in regards to time setting........

( Howard Miller MacArthur mantel clock )

• FOR ALL CLOCKS - SETTING TIME

To set the time, move ONLY THE MINUTE HAND counterclockwise (backwards) until the hour and
    minute hand are at the correct time.
    (See figure 4). DO NOT MOVE THE HOUR HAND WHEN
    SETTING THE TIME. The hour hand will move automatically when the minute hand is moved. By
    moving the minute hand counterclockwise it is not necessary to wait for the clock to chime as the
    minute hand passes each quarter hour.

The movement has a self correcting feature which synchronizes the chimes with the time. If after
    setting the clock on time, it does not chime properly, permit it to operate 12 hours to correct itself.

630-208 MacArthur mantel clock.jpg 630-208 MacArthur.jpg Howard-Miller-Wall-Clocks-Mantle-Clocks-Manual-5.png

19. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep. That's what they recommend. Those of us in the repair business have had to deal with the bent rack tails that result from this practice, which, I might add, causes the owners of the clocks to spend money for repairs that could have been avoided. I tell my customers to ignore what the instructions say. You can't go wrong turning the hands in the direction they are designed to go.
    I know many people will continue to do what should feel "just wrong" and will have to deal with the consequences. I don't mind the extra income ;)

Robbie Pridgen and CJo like this.
  20. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kinda like the guy that wanted to only drive his car backwards to keep down the mileage :):)

DPC

Robbie Pridgen and shutterbug like this.