Alvin Bourguin Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by billstampsk, Jun 27, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. billstampsk

billstampsk Registered User

Jun 27, 2007
    Hello, I recently listed a nice Pocket Watch on line. A wonderful Watchsmith whom was a member of your group, was kind enough to take a look at my watches and tell me more, offering varying things that needed to be done to them. Because I don't know what the rules are on posting listings I decided to copy c the information to you in this note. "

It was produced in the late 1800's by a swiss maker. All of the parts appear original to the watch and according to the watchmaker it has its' original face cover although this needs to be reattached. It is working and thus far keeping perfect time. The inside back case has the number 52333 as does the outside case. It is signed Alvin Bourguin Chaux--De-Fonds on the inside cover as well as on the face of the watch. The works on the inside show a JG stamped in a shield along with the initials FS. Their is a three tier appearing urn in the interior of the case. The name of the maker is Alvin Bourguin.

The watch smith wrote that "In Karl Kochmann's book on European watch and clock trade marks, there are two pages of Bourguins, covering the years from circa 1881-1927." He said the watch "still has the original glass cover over the face of the Movement."

I would really like to know more about it before it sells if anyone can help. I lost the minute hand and haven't located it yet, but I know it is here somewhere. According to the watchsmith it did need to be cleaned and the original face put back on. It works great. IF it is okay with the monderator I can send a link? Otherwise, my private e-mail address is leegaunt@earthlink.net.
    Thank you for anything you can offer. Eleanor Lee

2. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We need pictures to tell you mare than the watchmaker did. My reference, Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975 by Pritchard has no Alvin Bourguin but does have an Albin Bourquin of Chaux--De-Fonds .

The signature on the movement is the retailer who assembled the movement with its case and dial. From your description it seems to be a hunter case with tehe front needing repair. This is serious case work.

Your movement can be one of several types so pictures are essential. I have seen several Bourquin watches and they are usually of good but not top quality.

3. billstampsk

Jun 27, 2007
    Hello Jon and thank you so much for your help. I have tried and tried to no avail to figure out how to send a picture using the information from the board but evidently can't for the life of me figure it out. I can send you to links that if you copy and paste to the URL address, you can see the watch first. The first link will require the passcode watch The second link doesn't need a passcode, but will only be available to see until tomorrow night. Here they are. Again I tried using the format and can't seem to do the suggested way.

http://imageevent.com/billstampsk/chain?rotp=7655&rotp=0375 Passcode is watch

http://tinyurl.com/2npbrz No Passcode needed

Thank you all very much for looking and I genuinely appreciate any information. I am very curious and would love to know more before it is gone. Thank you. Eleanor

4. billstampsk

Jun 27, 2007
    Here are the pictures. Thank you again.

Attached Files:

5. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for posting the pictures. Alvin Bourguin made mid market watches and this is in the lower middle quality range. If your pictures are of the watch in its present condition it is missing the second not the minute hand. Replacing second hands is fairly easy. The hour and minute hands are distinctive and its good that they are intact.

The watch movement looks rough but it should clean up with an overhaul. I see the regulator, that iis the long arrow swinging to the left of the "S: is out of range. That means it was running very fast and the last person who handled it set it that far to try to get it to run better. Running very fast is usually a sign that it needs cleaning and oiling.

This is a movement type (Called an ebauche) which was used in mid grade watches and with good maintenance run for centuries. Mechanically it is probably worth fixing but economically it is iffy. If you like and want to wear it its worth considering but you might not recover the repair costs if you are looking to resell it. If you are considering it for your own use bear i nmind that any watch will need an overhaul and this is high enough quality watch that it should serve you well and long.

It looks late 1800's to pre World War I in vintage with 1880's my best guess. Its a nice gold case.

It was made for the US market. This maker sent a lot of watches here and the F&S on the regulation (Instead of A &R for French speakers) and the double sunk dial are signs it was made for the US. The double sunk dial is unusual in a Swiss watch.

If the front of the case is loose or detached, you need a real case maker to to the restoration. Perhaps someone reading this can refer you to one.it

6. billstampsk

Jun 27, 2007
    Hello Dr. Jon,

I would like to thank you SO much for your reply. Because I'm knew, I don't know how to reply to you privately and do not wish to bore any others watching. May I have your private e-mail address?

My customer really would like an idea as to how much I want for this watch. I am in the US and Gold is rather expensive today. I have the other hand, somewhere, and hope to find them for him eventually. It does need to be cleaned and the original face re-attached. My photographs show scratches that are not there, and I have examined it with a good glass.

IF anyone does know or have an idea of the cost of repair I would greatly appreciate it. I am in the South, (actually I landed here ;-) and there are NO jewelers willing to look at anything for less then multiple dollars. ;-)

Also, Dr. Jon, is there a place to post a pair of watch cufflinks made from older ladies watches on this site? I've been informed they have rubys and sapphires and the wheels are made of solid gold.

Thank you so much for your assistance and really, very informative information! :) I've been searching for years now and you answered it all so quickly.

EleanorClick Here

7. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For the case repair you might try a gold smith. These are small operations who usually make or repairn gold jewelry. I had a gold watch chain repaired by a small operation with a laser welder. I also had a gold hour hand repaired by small jewelery maker who used a torch.

These operations are in Jeweler's Arcades in the North East and West Coast. They are often upstairs in commercial buildings.

If they think they can do the repair, they probably can.

We in the NAWCC generally discourage making watch movements into jewelry. The rubies and gold in the movements is not of much value compared to that inherent in a good working item.

The movements were fairly common lower mid grade items so making them into cuff links is not a major blow to horology. It probably would not have been worth the cost to repair. We would rather have seen these go to practice repairs to develop skills. Most serious watch collectors hate jewelry or other decorations made from watch parts.,

8. billstampsk

Jun 27, 2007
    Hello and thank you Dr. Jon for the terrific suggestion as to the watch repair. Just so you'll know........ I wasn't the culprit for the cuff links and acquired them the way they were. I intend to repair this watch, not use it for jewelry. :)