Alpina pocketwatch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by paweto, Apr 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. paweto

paweto New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hello everyone,

I'd like you to tell me something about that watch, I've came into. To be honest, I have no idea if this watch is an original watch or it is just a fake. Below some photos, I would like to receive as much information about that watch as possible, thank you :)

View attachment 340354 View attachment 340355 View attachment 340356

2. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the board, Paweto :)

You have a very nice watch in great condition! Alpina UnionHoroogere is a well-known company based in Biel, Switzerland.

The case is gold plated with a 20 micron thick layer of gold - someone else here may be able to tell you whether that is considered high quality plating.

3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As MartyR wrote it's the real thing.

The plating is for wear for short time. A micron is one millionth of a meter or 1/1000 of a centimeter. 20 microns is a bit less than 1/1000 of an inch.

Alpina has a long history and they are still operating. Here is a link

http://alpinawatches.com/the-brand/

Then as now they are low to mid market but solid watches.

4. paweto

paweto New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Do you know how old is that watch, approximately?
    And, can I use that sequence of numbers that are at machinery to date that watch?

5. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    That number on the movement, known as the "serial number", would indeed date the watch if anyone had the ledgers of the company which recorded the information. Unfortunately, very few European manufacturers retained their ledgers, so they are of no help in dating.

The style of the movement could date anywhere between about 1880 and 1940, but that number 335 on the movement under the name Alpina is a good clue - that is the "calibre" number, which describes the layout of the movement, and fortunately there is an excellent website which has gathered a huge database on Swiss calibres - Ranfft Watches - and if you click on that link you will see your movement, serial number 659658 (very close to your serial number) and on the right there is information which dates it to about 1930. It also says that the balance wheel has an anti-shock device, which is useful information.

The style of the numerals on the dial, and the hands, are also exactly right for the date of 1930, and you can be reasonably sure that they are all original :D