Alpina Discussion Group

M

Mike Kearney

Günter, the best reference I am aware of on Swiss watches is a two-volume set entitled "Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975', by NAWCC member Kathleen Pritchard. The research effort that went into producing these books is truly amazing. They're especially good for answering the 'who made this watch' questions that show up on alt.horology (and soon, here too, I hope).

I'll see what info Mrs. Pritchard's book has about Alpina when I get home this evening. Although if someone else beats me to it, I would certainly appreciate it.

Regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Kearney (edited 02-16-2001).]

M

Mike Kearney

Günter, Alpina was founded in 1883 as an association of watch and clock makers. It was associated with two other organizations, Fabriques D'Horlogerie Reunies and Union Horlogere. It had offices in Bienne, Geneva, Besancon and Berlin. The began producing waterproof watches in 1928, according to a 1953 ad. In 1953 the company celebrated its 70th anniversary, and the Alpina 70 sport watch was produced at this time. 'Swiss Timepiece Makers' has about 3 pages on Alpina. Hope that helps.

Regards,
Mike

C

Cary

According to my Bestfit manual, some of their 12 1/2 and 10 1/2 ligne movments were of their own making, while they also used Pesus,and AS base movements in some of the other models. this is current for watches prior to 1963.

Cary

M

Marty Rougeaux

Gunter,
I don't know much about the brand but a friend has a beautiful 1930's Alpina-Gruen duo dial (Dr's watch) cal-877, 15j.
Good luck,
Marty

Bazzab

Jul 17, 2009
Tampa Bay
Country
Region
Hi not sure if this is a current group, but I have a Alpina Fluid Drive. Anybody know anything about it. Keeps great time on the wrist but sleeps in the box. Need to have my watchmaker take a look at it, but dont want to cover him in a dark inky liquid, or fined out that you need special tools to contain the fluid etc etc,
So if anybody as any knowledge, offer advice, Many thanks
Bazzab

Kate N

Jun 13, 2005
It's a guess, but...

I strongly suspect that the "fluid-drive" contains no fluid at all. I believe that it refers to smoothness of motion; fluidity.
Hopefully, I'll be corrected if this idea is wrong.

Kate

Bazzab

Jul 17, 2009
Tampa Bay
Country
Region
If you are, were do I send the cleaning bill (LOL) Thanks for taking the time to respond I post the results here
Bazza

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javalink
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller