Allis Chalmers Vacuum Gauge

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Bruce Barnes, Oct 27, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Just won this gauge and it is compliment not only to this clock but also to the other company artifacts that eventually comprised the Allis Chalmers Company,eg Fraser and Ckalmers,Gates Steel,Reliant Iron works etc.......
    Bruce

allis company.jpg 9392234_1_l.jpg

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    #2 eskmill, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    Allis Chalmers was very competitive in heavily into manufacturing large steam and early diesel electric power generating plants.

Odds are that the clock movement is one of the double mainspring rugged Seth Thomas # 10.

The clock was likely a fixture a steam plant boiler room while the pressure gauge, registering inches of vacuum indicated the effectiveness of the exhaust steam condenser. A nice pair that's looking for the mating steam boiler pressure gauge.

The City of Vernon California still maintains several Hamilton-M.A.N. double acting, two cycle, solid injection Diesel engines. The engines' 8 cylinders have a bore of 24" and a stroke of 36"; developing 6,850 B.H.P. @ 167 RPM. The alternating current generators were made by Allis Chalmers.

3. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice ack! I've always bin a big fan of old dial gauges and yours is a very nice complement to the clock. CONGRATS and thanks 4 sharing!

4. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Les and Scottie..Les I would love to watch and listen to those old diesels run,cool sound and neat smells just like In flying I love the old "round" engines.
    I never thought I would be collecting items like this but each and every piece is a part if history.If you like clocks,gauges and revolution counters you should see Jeff Monti's collection.

5. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    #5 Bruce Barnes, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
    Allis Chalmers Clock and Vacuum Gauge and other items

Some other items that go with my growing collection of Allis Chalmer items that were prior to the merger in 1913.The revolution counter was carefully restored by a friend who is a master craftsman. The Reliance Works Company was purchased in 1860 and it was part of the Decker and Seville company that formed in 1847 and went bankrupt in the financial collapse in 1857.
    Fraser and Chalmers,Gates Steel along with Dickson Manufacturing were the three that merged to form the Allis Chalmers Manufacturing Company in 1913.
    Bruce IMAG0418.jpg rel counter.jpg allis chalmers gates steel.jpg f&c.jpg

6. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Allis Chalmers Clock and Vacuum Gauge and other items

I've merged these two threads in order to keep the topic together.