All Wooden Clock

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by James Foster, Feb 11, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. James Foster

James Foster Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Male
    Clockmaker @ Your Time Clock Repair
    East TN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I posted this in the "What is this clock worth?" section last evening with quite a few views but no responses. I contacted Ms Dyer at the library today and she suggested posting it here to see if it gets more exposure. I seem to associate a monastery in California with this clock for some reason but I really don't know why.

This clock hung on the wall of our carport in the mid 1960's when I was old enough to tell time. The rule was; be within sight of the house and be home by 4:00 to eat dinner (my father worked at NASA and was on a pretty early schedule). If I was not there I had no excuse.

It has been stored for years. I came across it and wondered if anyone on the message board could tell me anything about it.

The wheels are wooden with lantern pinions. The dial is approximately 26" across and 34" tall. I don't know the age but I do not believe this is from any sort of kit. I have the hands that need some work and the weight my dad had with it.

Attached Files:

2. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Have you looked behind the dial and/or removed the clock off the wall to see if there are any markings on it?

3. James Foster

NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Male
    East TN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for your interest. I have not found any marking on the dial or movement. Here are a few more pictures. Sorry the last picture displayed up side down but still shows the lantern pinions.

Attached Files:

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. James Foster

NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Male
    East TN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the link to the thread. It was interesting but I didn't see anything that really gives me a feel for my clocks origin. The style of the majority of the clocks in the thread seemed more ornamental. Mine has a plain appearance with a recoil escapement and an adjustment for the center distance of the verge to center of the escape wheel. There is a sort of bow around the wheels that the pendulum is suspended from. It has a approximately 36" pendulum stick with a wooden fob. Sorry about the quality of the photography but its not missing trundles. Two of the wheels are pulling double duty with the added function of being trundles.

There are some flat head screws that appear to be original but I'm not sure how closely that would date it. I have a couple of dozen wooden works clocks. That by no means makes me an authority but it looks to have some age. Any other guesses?

6. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    If it came from a monastery, it is quite possible that it was
    made by someone there.
    Tinker Dwight

7. James Foster

NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Male
    East TN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the input. Would anyone care to browse my listing in "what is this clock worth" and venture a guess?

8. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    James, without knowing the maker or the age of your clock, it's very difficult to give a useful value for it.

9. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've seen a LOT of these types wooden gear clocks but easily confess I've never seen ANYthing of this magnitude. This is a BIGG clock. I have a big one by BUCO but in size, it pales by comparison. I'd put it in the hundred dollar range. It's recent. It's interesting. Thanks for sharing!

10. James Foster

NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Male
    East TN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought you were referring to the collar portion of the lantern pinion. In reading Goodrich's The modern Clock I see now that term refers to the wires that between the collars of the lantern pinion. Oops! By the way, also no missing trundles.

11. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, James, you do have to admit this picture shows gaps on two of the lantern pinions, but I suppose it could be just an illusion in the picture:
    attachment.jpg