• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

All brass Gustav becker case

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The price range boils down to what similar clocks are going for on auction right now. A brief look through the 'Bay reveals similar clocks in similar condition going anywhere between $300 to $800. This isn't like the old days where one could pick up a 'Price Guide' and expect to set an objective value on a certain type of clock. Value is entirely subjective and is not set in stone. Changing times and the prominence of the global clock trade makes this more apparent. Some collectors are really into these clocks and will pay plenty, others would prefer an Ogee or an Odo and won't pay one cent.

Nice to see a more unusual case being presented here, and in good condition. Are you sure this is a solid brass case and not a wooden case with metallic brass tinting? This is not the case shape one would normally make entirely out of any metal, however anything is possible. It is a well made case either way.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i have a hard time thinking that’s a solid brass case… do we know how much it weighs? the detailing is classic wood casework… but who knows? it does like there’s some typical wood type wear on the door glass molding. possible to get more photos showing inside and outside details?

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
i have a hard time thinking that’s a solid brass case… do we know how much it weighs? the detailing is classic wood casework… but who knows? it does like there’s some typical wood type wear on the door glass molding. possible to get more photos showing inside and outside details?
Well I asked him to get me some more pics. He's a mechanical engineer and clock collector. So I'm pretty sure he knows what it's made of.

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
The price range boils down to what similar clocks are going for on auction right now. A brief look through the 'Bay reveals similar clocks in similar condition going anywhere between $300 to $800. This isn't like the old days where one could pick up a 'Price Guide' and expect to set an objective value on a certain type of clock. Value is entirely subjective and is not set in stone. Changing times and the prominence of the global clock trade makes this more apparent. Some collectors are really into these clocks and will pay plenty, others would prefer an Ogee or an Odo and won't pay one cent.

Nice to see a more unusual case being presented here, and in good condition. Are you sure this is a solid brass case and not a wooden case with metallic brass tinting? This is not the case shape one would normally make entirely out of any metal, however anything is possible. It is a well made case either way.
The problem is I can't find a gb with all brass case to compare.

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Here you go. All brass. He also included a video of him tapping it. Sound doesn't lie is brass

2114.jpg 2112.jpg

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Fascinating and even more unusual. One that John Hubby should see since he's documented many clocks by Gustav Becker.

Reactions: Darrmann39

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
well, who knew? very cool.

Forum statistics