Aligning hammers to chime rods

Duzzy

Sep 29, 2018
Country
hi there,,

I’ve the chime rods in mechanism in face perfectly aligned but the hammers are not lined up what or how do I line them up?

Regards Darren

C44CC290-55F8-43AF-ACE1-DC12C72D3505.jpeg 903F9B0D-ADFD-4938-9BB0-EB0660DA950C.jpeg 6549F9DA-6D3A-4536-BEE2-7908161ACA28.jpeg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Also, you can pull the movement and hold each hammer wire firmly at the uppermost bend and bend the wire back about 3/4". Not good to add extra bends, just adjust the bends already present. Fine adjustments are always made with everything fastened in place. You can use tools, or your fingers, for the fine adjustments.

Rods usually sound best when struck a little higher than in the photo. If your sound is dull and overly mellow, or has extra bounces to the hammers (buzz). Moving the chime block down about 1/2". Willie X

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
On closer examination, looks like someone has already added a board between the original block and the backboard. I would clean this up by making a new block (or box) that is the correct depth, paint it black before assembly.

The "correct depth" will not make the aglinement of the hammers and rods much better. You have to take into consideration the pendulum's position. There needs to be at least 1/2" clearance between the rods and the back of the pendulum. Looks like your present spacer block is about the right depth. Although you may be able to add about 1/8" to the block's present thickness and still have 1/2" clearance from the front rods to the pendulum.

It's OK to bend the rods when necessary, as stated in post.#3. This is routinely done on all new movement installations.

Willie X

Duzzy

Sep 29, 2018
Country
You are going to need another board to bring the rods closer to the clock. Screw another bit of wood under the chimes.
It’s 12mm from the pendulum spring, which is where it’s supposed to be in the instructions that that were supplied, I will drop the the chimes down and make the board one piece then once positioned bend the hammer rods.

Regards Darren

upstateny

Oct 2, 2015
Country
1/2 inch shim under the chime block and longer screws should get you close enough so that only minor bending will be necessary.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Well, if it's a 12mm spacing now, moving it 1/2" closer could be a big problem, depending on what kind of angle the rods have in relation to the centerline.

Note, I mentioned bending rods in my my second post, I ment wires. It's OK to bend the hammer wires but bending the chime rods is a big no-no. This is the reason for the 1/2" spacing between the pendulum and the chime rods. You want to avoid bending the chime rods. You probably know this already but I wanted to make it clear. Someone else used the wotd rod in place of wire also.

Willie X

Duzzy

Sep 29, 2018
Country
Well, if it's a 12mm spacing now, moving it 1/2" closer could be a big problem, depending on what kind of angle the rods have in relation to the centerline.

Note, I mentioned bending rods in my my second post, I ment wires. It's OK to bend the hammer wires but bending the chime rods is a big no-no. This is the reason for the 1/2" spacing between the pendulum and the chime rods. You want to avoid bending the chime rods. You probably know this already but I wanted to make it clear. Someone else used the wotd rod in place of wire also.

Willie X
Hi Will those chime rods came touching each other what now if they can’t be bent? The face pins were also bent bloody freight company have been given a burst I give you the mail!

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
They can be bent but there is a risk of breakage. The main thing is to figure out how to do the least amount of bending to the least number of rods. And, they don't have to end up being all in one plane. Often you can get clearance by bending just one rod. Just apply pressure about 1 or 2 inches down from the top. Try not to overbend by using a small amount of pressure at first and increase your effort in small increments until the dead is done. Willie X

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
No, they should hit the rod and instantly come to rest about 1/8 from the rod. There is a sweet spot. To close will create a buzz or a thud, to far will cause skips.
Some try to adjust for a specific volume, I always go for the best sound 'the sweet spot'.
Willie X

Duzzy

Sep 29, 2018
Country
No, they should hit the rod and instantly come to rest about 1/8 from the rod. There is a sweet spot. To close will create a buzz or a thud, to far will cause skips.
Some try to adjust for a specific volume, I always go for the best sound 'the sweet spot'.
Willie X
I’ll have a bend again tomorrow. The hourly chime sounds perfect however the Westminster and saint Michael sounds dull and out of tune. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed putting my fathers clock together. I look forward to doing mine.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
srhuston
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions