Albert H. Potter #595

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Ethan Lipsig, Dec 4, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Male
    80% Retired Attorney
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Albert H. Potter was perhaps the outstanding American watchmaker. I recently acquired his watch #595, made after he moved to Geneva. I am posting photos of it here because Potter was an American, but the moderator may conclude that it should be moved to the European Pocket Watch forum.

There is quite a bit of information about Potter in other postings on this message board. I won't repeat what they say except to note that his US production is quite rare, perhaps 35 watches. His Geneva production was greater, but even they are quite uncommon.

His watches were very expensive, reportedly selling for at least 10 times a basic Vacheron & Constantin. Because of their expense, Potter ultimately failed as a watchmaker and quit that business in 1895.

My watch dates to the early 1890s. It has an 1892 inscription: Augustus Cummings/From Florence Eloise Hood/ Dec. 14th, 1892. Cummings married Hood on that date, so this watch was her wedding present to him. Cummings was a civil engineer, born in Norfolk England, who ended up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he had a very successful business, among other things inventing the "Cummings System" of reinforced concrete.

The watch is in excellent condition, save for a hairline in the seconds dial. Since the watch did not need servicing when I purchased it, I will defer soaking the dial until the watch needs servicing. Soaking should make the hairline nearly invisible.

The very unique movement is covered by a glass cuvette. I elected not to remove it before taking the movement photos below.

Attached Files:

2. John Pavlik

John Pavlik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very, very nice Ethan !! What more can Be said........

3. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Awesome, Major find!!!! PS, Don't soak it...................leave that gorgeous hairline. Keith

4. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    His A-P plates do make a dynamic signature! A lovely watch, congrats.

5. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for posting. A very unique and interesting movement.

6. D Magner

D Magner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Male
    Georgia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful watch! Thank you for the pictures.

7. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well... outstanding indeed!

8. Clint Geller

Clint Geller Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Male
    Semi-retired materials physicist
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lovely watch, and the Pittsburgh connection is also intriguing to me. I know at least one Cummings family here, but it would be a real longshot that they have any relation to the original owner of this watch. The compound regulator reminds me quite a bit of Mershon's patented regulator seen on early Howard keywinds. The same motivation likely inspired both: a given displacement of the index arm causes a smaller motion of the curb pins, in principle, enabling finer regulation.

9. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Male
    80% Retired Attorney
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, all, for the input.

Clint, if you follow up on the Cummings connection, this may help: The Cummings had two children, Robert Augustus Cummings Jr. and Eloise Hood Cummings. Jr. died on October 21, 1962, in Pittsburgh.

Since posting photos of the watch, I've noticed another detail. Geneva stop works are on top of the barrel but weren't visible when I first photographed the movement because barrel rotation had taken them under the adjacent bridge at the time. See below for a photo I just took showing the stop works, which now are out from under the bridge. I removed the glass cuvette for this photo.

Tom McIntyre has Albert Potter #588. See http://www.awco.org/European/Potter/potter.htm. As far as I can see, it appears identical to my #595 except that mine is cased in the original 18k Potter case. Tom's example has been recased in a 14k J&S case.

Attached Files:

10. jc-sweden

jc-sweden Registered User

Dec 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    #10 jc-sweden, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    - One of the most beatiful watches / movement I have ever seen!

11. Mikie T

Mikie T Registered User

Jun 25, 2012
    Draftsman
    Meridian, MS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice watch!!
    What a great find! Congrats!!

Mike

12. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    holy moly! One of the reasons I peruse these boards. Do not get me wrong, i love Elgins and howards and Balls and Peorias, but when I see something like that that has surfaced....well...it makes the hair stand up on my neck.

Thanks for sharing!

Jeff Hess

BTW, has Toms been recased or is it in a normal and oft seen original Jennot & Shiebler import case?