Alarm woodworks movement

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by klokwiz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I know this is probably a very vague question, but I am looking at a clock case which has been converted to quartz. it has an old wood dial which has three holes, one slighlty below and the others slightly offset. It also has a brass alarm setting dial around hands arbors. I'm assuming it is a woodworks who's movement has long since dissapeared. I know photos and maker name will be helpful but don't have it yet.

How likely is it i will be able to find an old alarm woodworks to restore clock?

Joe.

2. Troy Livingston

Troy Livingston Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Aerospace Stress Engineer
    Melrose, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Joe,

Alarm movements do appear regularly, although typically with the alarm parts missing. Some types are relatively common with examples appearing on popular auction sites several times a year, others are quite rare. From your description it sounds like you need a groaner alarm movement. These are not too hard to find.

Troy

3. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Troy,

Thanks for your advice. I hate to see a fine clock go. I will see what i can do to save it.

Joe.

4. Troy Livingston

Troy Livingston Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Aerospace Stress Engineer
    Melrose, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Joe,

When you get a chance post some pictures of the case and a nice clear shot of the dial with a ruler for reference. If I can't identify and provide a picture of what to look for then I expect someone on the list will be able to help. I have a soft spot for alarm movements, (no doubt because I hate the one that wakes me every morning) and have picked up a few of the types over the years.
    We all have cases needing a specific movement, welcome to the club.

Troy