Alarm clock question

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Rockin Ronnie, Apr 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User

Nov 18, 2012
    Is there an alarm or musical clock section anywhere on the board?

Ron

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
  3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator

Jan 15, 2004
    We have this thread on alarm and novelty clocks. It is little used.

4. Rockin Ronnie

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks Steven. Some interesting clocks in that thread but I suppose there is less demand for alarm clocks. Did not really expect to see a dedicated section.

Ron

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    I only have the one, I've bid on others but not won another yet.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    I've a shed full of old alarm clocks. They've been out of vogue a long time. Though I saw a collectors forum in my searches where there was someone counting her blessings for owning a blessing. There were heaps of similar novelty clock collectors theree. So whatever rocks your boat.
    I simply get money if they ever come back and pick the thing up.

7. Steven Thornberry

Jan 15, 2004
    The suggestion of creating an alarm clock forum has been discussed before, but nothing resulted from the discussion. It would be difficult to create and populate a forum for each and every special interest.

There is an alarm clock chapter, The Howard Banta Alarm Clock Chapter (Chapter 178). If interested, here is a link to its website.

8. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    #8 roughbarked, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    While we are here, I gather that patriotism works where there are lots of patriotic products in collectionable status.

ie: Chinese people pay big dinero for their stuff back. So too do Americans.

I do mean that us Aussies can't get back what was dug out of that big hole in the ground.

As an apprentice I did work on Big Ben and Baby Ben Westclox. It was here where I learned about soldering washers rather than pull it apart and bush it. I know there is possibly a thread about such clocks here because there exists, patriotsm.

Today I had a Baby Ben come in. It needs some bushing yes but that is least consideration when the mainspring is broken. I did think, well that's torn it. Where will I find a baby ben mainspring?

[​IMG] So I walked over and picked up the rather small box to carry the inscription of clock mainsprings. Behold there was within a box inscribed westclox. Inside were two alarm springs and one baby ben mainspring. Ok., if the clock will run after cleaning and a mainspring, how much should I worry about whether the plate wear need bushing? There is wear there that should be fixed on some pivots but I've seen Westclox go with just a clean and lube, so many times.

Patriotism aside. I have one complete baby ben from back then and I'm keeping it as is. There is no way I'd rob a good complete clock in going order of a part to fix another unless I had a box full of them.

9. Rockin Ronnie

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks for the vote of support Roughbarked. I had a chance to buy a Jaeger Lecoultre musical alarm clock but passed on it because I felt it to be too much of a challenge to work on if anything went wrong and was not sure what advice I would get if I asked questions on this board.

Ron

10. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    I always thought the design of the alarm clock with irreversible assembly operations and the cool hardened pivots running in conical receivers was very interesting. However, the concept was intentionally difficult to repair. That is what you want if you are selling a very low cost commodity, turnover.

11. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    As far as it goes I was quite happy with the alarm clocks made by Cyma Swiza and Imhof. There was nothing wrong with Europa either.

12. Tom McIntyre

Staff Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    #12 Tom McIntyre, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    I have several clocks equipped with alarms that I do not consider "alarm clocks." The reason is that they have normal bushed pivots and actually have threaded nuts that holld them together rather than tabs and rivets. They are also not examples of over-the-top cost reduction. I have a nice small Tiffany signed alarm clock with tandem winding for the alarm, but I don't think of it as an alarm clock.

View attachment 339880 View attachment 339881 View attachment 339882 View attachment 339883

13. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    The Junghans alarm clocks were quite serviceable and travelled well.

14. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    How do you define an alarm clock then? Alarm clocks have been made since domestic clocks came about, most have just time and alarm functions but some, like mine, strike on the hour too. We have no way of knowing but it is suggested that the latter were not for waking up but for some other use.

The alarm feature is less common on English clocks than continental ones, particularly in bracket clocks.

15. Tom McIntyre

Staff Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    When I think about alarm clocks, I picture the ones with a pair of bells on the top (or a single bell) and include those where the entire back is a bell.

There is no particular logic to that distinction, but those are the ones that have all the cost engineering and cost reduction innovations. They make a fun counterpoint to the high grade watches that I actually collect.

16. Steven Thornberry

Jan 15, 2004
    Yes, your K-Mart Casios are impressive.:chuckling:

17. Rockin Ronnie

Nov 18, 2012
    View attachment 339905
    Jaegher Lecoultre musical alarm clock

18. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016