Alanson Richards, Bristol, Conn

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by time is money, Jan 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. time is money

time is money Registered User

Jun 30, 2013
    Was wondering if anyone knew of a link to the history of the Alanson, Richards clock co,, Bristol Conn, I have one with a 30 hour movement marked "Union"

2. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #2 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Your inquiry interested me because this is a maker of whom I have never heard about.

According to Spittler and Bailey, "American Clockmakers and Watchmakers", he was active 1825-1843 in Bristol, CT.

I found this reference in the Bulletin: http://www.nawcc.org/images/stories/1950/articles/1950/35/35_212.pdf

He is listed at the end of that article as a user of "groaner" wooden movements.

Another reference to him is in this article: http://www.nawcc.org/images/stories/1980/articles/1987/248/248_213.pdf

He is listed as a purchaser of brass clocks from the firm of Ray and Ingraham, who were in business from 1841-1843. His purchase is listed "for the period 8/43".

I suspect that this is how Spittler and Bailey came up with his working time span.

You mention that the movement in your clock is marked "Union". Based upon the above reported timespan for Alanson, it would probably have been made by either the Union Clock MFG. C0 (1843-4) or Union Manufacturing CO (1843-9)? Dates again as per Spittler and Bailey. If correct, he had a nearly 20 year involvement in clock making/assembling spanning the wooden and brass works periods which for that time was not insignificant. And still apparently not prolific nor particularly well known.

I suspect he might have been more of an assembler, buying components and movements from others and putting them together. It's possible he, like others, purchased complete clocks and sold them with his label.

Hope this helps.

What type of clock is it?? Could you post pix of it??

By the way, the access the Bulletin, you need to be a NAWCC member. So, if you aren't already.....

RM

3. time is money

time is money Registered User

Jun 30, 2013
    Thanks for all of the info!

4. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    You're welcome.

RM