Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, May 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Age does not matter!

If you have the will, the desire, even in your old age…you can accomplish.

Take the case of Bernice Paul, a 99 year old woman who still wields the artists’ brush

at her present age; the attached pages from this mornings Philadelphia Inquirer tells all. Here’s a woman being honored with her first Solo Art Show; at an age when the overwhelming majority of humans are no longer with us in this world. And, she even has a cat as a companion, just like me.

May I be permitted to blow my own horn…at 100 years and 112 days old, I still have the good health to do many things that others fortunate enough to reach my age… may not have the appetite to involve themselves in things to keep up with the events shaping the world we live in.

Sure education can help keeping you involved in many facets of life; I had no education, I have no diplomas from schools or colleges that focused on education, my education comes from living a long life and being involved in things that appealed to my sense of worth. Early on, I had some interest in using the artists paint brush, I still have a couple of paintings I did and framed hangings on the walls of my home…but my life’s work in the Graphic Arts took over whatever artistic skills I may have had or still have.

In later years [about 1962-1963] the horologic bug hit me. I will not recount what I have accomplished; some of my history is written and posted on the pages of our NAWCC Message Board.

But this posting is not about me…Please read the story of Bernice Paul…and her long years of life and what she has accomplished! (Sorry, I cannot post the pictures.)

2. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan:

I thought you were a few years older than 100. According to one of your other posts, on Dec. 11, 2018 you were 103. Do you start getting younger after a certain age?

Frank

3. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan appears to be in rerun syndication at the moment. Regardless, it is great to hear from him! Perhaps soon he will write some new thoughts and let us know what he is currently up to.

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would cut Dan some slack, how sharp will our minds be when we get to be his age.:):);) Good to see you posting Dan.

5. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kevin,
    lighten up a little, Dave is just commenting on Dan's posts are all old posts, so we all were curious if he can only copy & paste or if someone is helping him to put up some of his old posts.;)

6. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    I'm already forgetting more than I've learned.

Kevin W. likes this.
  7. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    I am 103 years of age going on 104. Did you ever stop to think that some of the stuff I wrote
    years ago would be new to people who joined us in the past three years. I need no help to do
    any posting, perhaps I should write about what I am doing today bound to a damn wheel chair.

My mind has not deteriorated too much. If I had my knees I'd amaze you guys doing what ever
    comes to mind, I can still dream pretty good...a lot of those dreams I made come true, just
    give me a pair of knees to walk and stand on and I would be off to the races.

The world does not stand still. neither do I.

8. Carl in France

Carl in France Registered User

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    Hautes Pyrénées, sometimes Wales.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    New to me.

I am half your age Dan and have just started on the clock road amongst other things. What made me smile though was that you write better than a lot of my peers ...lazy toads!

9. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    :)

10. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim i have been more lightened than many others who post here and its a comment and not insulting at all.

11. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    I heard the great Bill Tapia performing on ukulele at 101 and he rocked! He mentioned that he had recently purchased a property in southern California and got a 30 year loan. This guy entertained our troops during WW1. Nice to hear from you Dan and keep on truckin'.-Cort