Age of old Cuckoo????

It's About Time

Feb 6, 2007
Elizabethville, PA
PleasuresAndTreasuresClockGallery.com
Country
Region
Hi everybody! Please forgive the dust, cobwebs and dirt on this new acquisition. Things got too hot and sticky waiting for it to come up on the auction block today in this fierce heat & humidity :mysad: but I am just anxious to find out something about it before I get into cleaning it up.

I think it was worth the effort and the little I paid for it, but I am wondering if anyone can give me a good estimate on it's age.

I think it is in rather good condition. There are two tips on the crown trim that are missing, but other than that all of its trim is there. It has two weights, the hook is off the top of the pendulum but the piece is attached to the leader. It will of course need new bellows & repaired, etc., but overall, I think a nice clock!

So - does anyone have a way or a good guess as to its age?? :???: I sure appreciate you all looking.

Lou

Attachments

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
"rather" is a gross underestimate.
It's in DAMN good condition. VERY nice find there. CONGRATS.
Looks like late 18s to me.
For the price you paid, I'd have one too.

Chris

NAWCC Business
Nov 4, 2001
Ellsworth, Maine
clocksbychristopher.com
Country
Region
I agree with Scottie; it looks to be 1890's to 1900's vintage. The finials on the base of the clock look to be replacements; I've seen them before and they're usually thinner. Hey, but who cares? It's a great find. Congrats!

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
I'd say 1900-ish as the plates would probably be pinned much before that.
Are the plates cast or stamped? We can't see much of the movement.

Are you going to make some new tops for the bellows? Keep the remaining parts intact. :eek: Don't replace them with modern ones; they are not difficult to make.

Quite an unusual case and a nice one!

It's About Time

Feb 6, 2007
Elizabethville, PA
PleasuresAndTreasuresClockGallery.com
Country
Region
"The finials on the base of the clock look to be replacements; I've seen them before and they're usually thinner. " Chris

Chris,
The pic makes them appear larger and sorta out of proportion. I do not believe they were replaced. They do not have that appearance (in person close up), they look like they are the appropriate size and there is no evidence of glue etc, and the wood/coloring matches perfectly. If they were replaced - it is so long ago it is as if they were original. And at that poing, I agree with you - "Hey, but who cares? It's a great find." :thumb:
Lou

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
They're a bit of a strain for me to look at also, IAT:
Typically, I believe they looked a LOT more like these.
Now, these are replacement finials currently on eBay - search CUCKOO FINIAL - but they do look like most I've seen.

Attachments

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
I suppose that either could be true - the originals could have fallen off: however, the case itself is not a common design at all, and clocks of this age were not standard production line items anyhow.

As the finials don't really look out of place (JMO) I would just restore and enjoy it - its value can only increase, if you are interested in that sort of thing (I'm not!).
Value=enjoyment, not £ / $.

If you want any advice on repairing the bellows, fire away; I've done a few.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Yeah, that's more like the usual type of cuckoo clock case, Scottie, but quite an unusual pendulum.

It's identical to one I sold on eBay a couple of years ago - it had a wood movement and when I bought it, it was a pile of bits with most of the case broken and missing.

Lou's looks an even more unusual case, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the finials are original? Whatever, a very nice clock. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamb007
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre