Age of Geneva Lathe

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by Dave Coatsworth, Aug 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm shipping this lathe and accessories out of the country. For Customs purposes, I'm wondering if I can declare it as an antique. Can anyone put an approximate age on it? It's a G. Boley 6.5mm.

wt7291-1L.jpg wt7291-2L.jpg

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    “For U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) purposes an antique must be over 100 years of age at the time of importation.”

could it be that old?

3. Dave Coatsworth

NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Dave Coatsworth, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    I don't know. I have catalogs going back to the 1880's that show Geneva lathes. I just haven't found this exact G. Boley yet.

I should have said that this is going to Canada. I wonder if they have the same 100 year limit...

Edit: Canada has a 50-100 year old category that is apparenty duty free. I'm thinking there's a good chance this lathe is more than 50 years old.

4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i’m thinking @Jerry Kieffer would know.... ??

5. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Dave,

Earlier than 1919? I'd be very surprised if it wasn't. The 6.5mm versions were an early experiment I believe, which didn't seem to offer much advantage over the 6mm. I can't find any reference to it on lathes.co.uk, apart from the collets tables, but I know that Wolf Jahn also made some models in this size.

Regards,

Graham

6. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Dave
    Been down this road before.

From what I have seen in past research and your photos, I suspect that your lathe was mft about 1900.

If it were mine, I would declare it as follows.

" Vintage 1900 Watchmakers Lathe and accessories"

Given the typical value of what is shown in the photos and research difficulty, I doubt they will question it. If they do, theres nothing you can do about it no matter what anyones opinion is.

Jerry Kieffer

7. Dave Coatsworth

NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, guys!

8. wefalck

wefalck Registered User

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Paris
    Country Flag:
    I don't see any oiling caps. If it doesn't have them, it could be a ball-bearing headstock, which then would be 1950s or so.

On the other hand, it would be quite safe probably to declare whatever is most convenient, as it would be very difficult to prove the contrary without contacting the manufacturer.

9. motormaker

motormaker Registered User

Apr 5, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Nope on the ball bearing theory. Those are typical plain bearings oiled by rotating the knurled brass dust co0ver rings.

10. wefalck

wefalck Registered User

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Paris
    Country Flag:
    Indeed, some manufacturers used this arrangement too. On my Wolf, Jahn & Co. horological milling machine it is like that.

Neverthelss, the dating of these machines is extremely difficult. Sometimes the state of the nickel-plating helps or on newer samples the edges often appear more rounded to be more in line with the fashion of the day. Older lathes often have a yellowish tint due to iron ions migrating through the copper under-plating and then into the nickel-plating, becoming oxidised there.

11. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Male
    Retired and free (with dog again!)
    Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, someone up here is getting a very nice and complete watchmaker lathe kit! I wish I had half those accessories on mine (still working on it! :)
    Canadian Border authorities seem intent on charging duty and taxes on most anything coming into the country now, so there likely will be some charges added on for the buyer. Sometimes throwing the word "used" in the description will allow something to squeak through, but not always.
    As I said, someone should be very happy with that kit.
    --Robert

12. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The 6.5mm makes it over 100 years old. The ones from the 19 teens are all 8mm. There is an advantage to a 6.5 lathe. It can also take 6mm collets.

13. Dave Coatsworth

NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Dr. Jon!

14. wefalck

wefalck Registered User

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Paris
    Country Flag:
    I believe Boley made the 6.5 mm ones well into the years before WW2, as their competitors made 6 mm ones up to the 1950s.

I do not think that one can use 6 mm-collets on 6.5 mm-lathes. First the thread diameter is different (check the table in Carlé) and second, the body diameter is obviously 0.5 mm too slim, so that there will be no proper guidance.

15. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Male
    Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    About exporting to Canada, I just learned the hard way what one SHOULD describe an item like this being shipped, to avoid the recipient from paying unnecessary duty and taxes. I bought a box of old lathe parts from Germany (300 euros), and am being charged $100 for duty taxes. In researching the Border Services website, I see that "antiques" and "hobby tools" are exempt from duty. So next time, I'll instruct the seller to describe the item as "antique hobby tools". Mind you, I find that asking the seller to do something, and getting it done that way, are two very different things. :rolleyes:

16. wefalck

wefalck Registered User

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Paris
    Country Flag:
    Some years ago I swapped some lathe parts with a Canadian. He didn't complain afterwards about duties. Not sure what I wrote into the customs declaration then, but probably something like 'spare parts'.

17. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Male
    Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On the paperwork with the box the seller had (unbeknownst to me) indicated that the package was a "gift". So his heart was in the right place, he was trying to save me some $$'s. But he didn't follow my instructions to describe it as "used hand tools", but rather wrote "uhrmacher drehbank" (watchmaker lathe, which is what it is). But no indication of it being used left the customs agent the liberty to assume it was "new", simply disregard the "gift" indication, and slap the duty and taxes on me.
    Part of the inconveniences of buying used tools online from another continent, but I suppose that's counterbalanced by the great opportunity we have to find and buy all kinds of interesting and useful tools that we'd never find locally.