Agassiz ladies pocket watch

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Welcome to this forum.

You have a lovely watch. Agassiz was a better maker very closely assiated with Longines but the better of the two brands. I like ot use a car analogy. If it were a car it would be an Accura, better than a HInda but not a Lexus.

The case is heavy and has Swiss Hallmarks. The case style is called a half hunter. Despite having a bit less godl than a full hunter these cases cost more because they were more labor intensive.

Agassiz was owned by the same person who owned Longines. They were related to Louis Agassiz. It probably has the Agassiz trademark under its dial which is a fish in honor of Louis Agassiz's fossil work.

These watches were distributed by Wittnauer who ran a very complete distribution repair and parts operation.

Women's watches of this quality are unusual. If you are going to run it for any significnat time, it desperately need a cleaning which will make it look wonderful.

Theavan

Feb 5, 2021
Country
Welcome to this forum.

You have a lovely watch. Agassiz was a better maker very closely assiated with Longines but the better of the two brands. I like ot use a car analogy. If it were a car it would be an Accura, better than a HInda but not a Lexus.

The case is heavy and has Swiss Hallmarks. The case style is called a half hunter. Despite having a bit less godl than a full hunter these cases cost more because they were more labor intensive.

Agassiz was owned by the same person who owned Longines. They were related to Louis Agassiz. It probably has the Agassiz trademark under its dial which is a fish in honor of Louis Agassiz's fossil work.

These watches were distributed by Wittnauer who ran a very complete distribution repair and parts operation.

Women's watches of this quality are unusual. If you are going to run it for any significnat time, it desperately need a cleaning which will make it look wonderful.
Thank you so much for this information. Is there a serial data available for the Agassiz watches?

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Everything looks very original and quite nice on this watch. Nice heirloom. I don't recall having seen a Agassize movement in a demi-hunter case. Very crisp engine turning on the case, as well as quite intact enamel in numbers on the case. It's probably about as good as such a watch can get in an uncomplicated movement of the type, IMO. That said, typically ladies' watches were not worn daily like men's watches were. For that reason we do more often see ladies' watches with less worn cases than men's. And 18K is fairly soft and would be prone to wear.
Agassiz made quite a number of this style movement. And they made it in a few different sizes, men's and ladies'. I have one or two of such movements, but they are not in cases. And your case is an excellent one. I hope you keep it as an intact heirloom, despite the sometimes irresistible pull towards the scrappers of high gold prices.
And, as Dr. Jon suggested, a basic service is a great idea if it hasn't been serviced recently, especially if it's to be wound often. It should save you any larger expense that would be associated with damage that could be done by running with dry pivots for too long. Congratulations on your inheritance. Cheers.

Theavan

Feb 5, 2021
Country
Everything looks very original and quite nice on this watch. Nice heirloom. I don't recall having seen a Agassize movement in a demi-hunter case. Very crisp engine turning on the case, as well as quite intact enamel in numbers on the case. It's probably about as good as such a watch can get in an uncomplicated movement of the type, IMO. That said, typically ladies' watches were not worn daily like men's watches were. For that reason we do more often see ladies' watches with less worn cases than men's. And 18K is fairly soft and would be prone to wear.
Agassiz made quite a number of this style movement. And they made it in a few different sizes, men's and ladies'. I have one or two of such movements, but they are not in cases. And your case is an excellent one. I hope you keep it as an intact heirloom, despite the sometimes irresistible pull towards the scrappers of high gold prices.
And, as Dr. Jon suggested, a basic service is a great idea if it hasn't been serviced recently, especially if it's to be wound often. It should save you any larger expense that would be associated with damage that could be done by running with dry pivots for too long. Congratulations on your inheritance. Cheers.
The original owner passed in 1941, and it was stored in a box since then, so I think it’s due for service. I also have a 51” chain, I’m not sure if that’s typical for a ladies watch. It will definitely remain in the family. Thank you

Reactions: MrRoundel

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
The original owner passed in 1941, and it was stored in a box since then, so I think it’s due for service. I also have a 51” chain, I’m not sure if that’s typical for a ladies watch. It will definitely remain in the family. Thank you
Women often wore pocket watches from around their necks hence the 51" chain. This would likely have placed the watch in the vicinity of the woman's body corresponding to the location of the typical vest pocket on a man, being a readily readable location. Women could let the watch dangle or, preferably, tuck the timepiece safely away in a sash or blouse pocket.

Interestingly, early portable watches were also worn on such long neck chains by men. Men's portable watches in due course came to be worn in special pants pockets then in vest pockets. The neck chain for men did make a come back around the 3rd quarter of the 1800s, probably as a fashion statement.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
To my knowledge, Agassiz serial numbers are not consecutive and I have not been able to make sense of them. Longines may have the Agassiz records. They have always answered my inquiries . They may know when the watch left Switzerland. They probably sent it cased so you might get some good information from them.

Reactions: Theavan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Furgus2021
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller