Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by amuzikman, May 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. amuzikman

amuzikman Registered User

May 19, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    This is not an offer to sell. I am seeking some advice about selling only. My elderly father can no longer repair clocks due to his age. He has about 50 clocks (mostly torsion pendulum and mantle clocks) in various states of repair and a lot of repair tools, parts, etc. Since I know almost nothing about the subject, I thought perhaps someone here would give me some advice about how to go about selling his clocks and clock repair materials. Is there some other location on the web where this sort of thing can be posted for sale? Obviously I know about eBay, though I'd prefer to liquidate the entire collection rather than try and sell a piece at a time. Many thanks!

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps there is a NAWCC chapter near you that could help you in this matter.

3. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the board.

If your father's clocks are high quality clocks and you do not want to sell them piecemeal, then perhaps a clock auctioneer would be best for you. You most likely will need to pay a commission, but if they are high quality, it could be worth the expense. As part of the commission, some auction houses will come and pick them up, thus saving you time and the expense of shipping them.

This is one option. Others will provide other ideas.

Regards.

amuzikman likes this.
  4. amuzikman

May 19, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have tried to find contact information for my local NAWCC chapter, however the links to the folks in charge do not work. Is there some other way I can make contact?

5. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Which chapter are you trying to contact?

6. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. amuzikman

May 19, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have tried that link. I am trying to reach the Santa Anita chapter in California.

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    When I click on the names of the President and the Secretary, email addresses come up. Do you mean that when you use those addresses the emails don't go through (or bounce back)?

JTD

9. amuzikman

May 19, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have tried that link in three different browsers. Nothing comes up when I click on the names of the president or secretary. Is there some other way to obtain an email address for this local chapter?

10. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I hovered over the name of the President of that chapter and the following e-mail was indicated:

w9gly1@gmail.com

HTH.

Regards.

11. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005

Amuzikman, that's what I got as well, same as new2clocks. I should use that address and see how it goes. And the address I got for the secretary was lexmd@earthlink.net so that's another one to try.

I don't understand why you didn't get the addresses yourself when you clicked on the names, but you have them now anyway.

Hope you get through to them now.

JTD

12. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To be honest, I am not sure how an NAWCC chapter can assist you, other than provide you with the names of local auction houses.

I suppose they could invite you to their next meeting as a non-member of the chapter and allow you to set-up a table to offer your clocks and tools for sale (if allowable under their rules), but I doubt you will achieve your objective of selling all of your items at one time and not piecemeal.

But, a call to the local chapter can't hurt.

Regards.

13. amuzikman

May 19, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Many thanks to all!