Advice needed for cutting brass

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Sooth, Apr 17, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I recently bought a sheet of brass .032 thick I believe, which I need to cut to make two "swivel" type hinges for a clock door.

My question: what can I use to cut this. It's pretty thick, and I've never cut any brass before. I know it's not a very hard metal, but the sheet I have is not too pliable, or flexible. I have minimal tools (see below). Is there a way to score it, then bend it and snap it, or should I use something like a hacksaw, then sand down the cut side, or some sort of snips?

Tools I have currently: hacksaw, coping saw (don't know if they sell metal cutting blades for these), Dremel rotary tool...

Suggestions? I haven't started (or tried) cutting it yet. I might even be able to use old scissors (I have those scissors that are supposed to be able to cut through a penny), or borrow a pair of tin snips for this.

2. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I recently bought a sheet of brass .032 thick I believe, which I need to cut to make two "swivel" type hinges for a clock door.

My question: what can I use to cut this. It's pretty thick, and I've never cut any brass before. I know it's not a very hard metal, but the sheet I have is not too pliable, or flexible. I have minimal tools (see below). Is there a way to score it, then bend it and snap it, or should I use something like a hacksaw, then sand down the cut side, or some sort of snips?

Tools I have currently: hacksaw, coping saw (don't know if they sell metal cutting blades for these), Dremel rotary tool...

Suggestions? I haven't started (or tried) cutting it yet. I might even be able to use old scissors (I have those scissors that are supposed to be able to cut through a penny), or borrow a pair of tin snips for this.

3. mrb

mrb Guest

jewelers saw, scroll saw, band saw

4. LaBounty

LaBounty Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Clockmaker
    Mitchell, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey Sooth-

Just to expand on MRB's post...

Any saw you use will need to have at least 3 teeth per thickness of material. And yes, you will need to leave room to finish the edge.

Tin snips, wire cutters, big scissors...all can be used to cut brass. It really depends on what shape you are trying to cut out and the thickness of the brass. Small, complex shapes are easiest with a jeweler's saw (teeth pointing towards the handle) and straight cuts are easiest with a hack saw. Finishing can be done with a file, belt sander, etc...

Good luck with it!

5. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll add a couple more: My scroll saw cuts brass. I use it for heavier thicknesses. For thin brass I also sometimes use a dremel tool fitted with a cutoff disk.

6. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can get blades that will work in your coping saw also.

7. Tom Kloss

Tom Kloss Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Male
    Retired from one job, started another.
    N.E. Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I did brass and copper forming for many years. Brass stock can be scored with a sharp scriber then placed in a vice, bent and broken at the scribe line. This is only good of initial "cut off" from the bar stock. The scribe line has to be heavy and, if possible, on both sides of the stock. It will leave a rough edge that has to be finished. It can alos be cut rather easly with a nibbler.

Tom

8. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for all the replies. I need to cut out two "triangles" to make some pivoting style "hinges". I can sand off the rough edges with various sanders or sandpaer/files. I think I shall look for blades for the coping saw. If not, I will use my hacksaw. I imagine it can't be harder to cut than copper.

I'll cut off a once inch strip to start with, and we'll see how this goes.

9. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Alright, I know this post is 2 months old, but a recent discussion asked memebers to make the effort to follow up with how their problem was solved.

I managed to easily score and bend/snap the thin brass sheet using a heavy duty craft knife (like a gyproc knife) and nothing more than a hand drill and a sander (orbital) to make the hinges I needed.

The finished hinges can be seen here, next to the original set. They're not an identical match, but they are close enough that you can't really tell the difference:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/sooth15/New-OldHinge.jpg

10. Tom Kloss

Tom Kloss Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Male
    Retired from one job, started another.
    N.E. Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very Nice Sooth.

Tom

11. ChrisBeattie

ChrisBeattie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Associate Director of Campus Safety
    Canandaigua, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very good job. Aside from patina, you really would not be able to tell the difference if you did not have the original to compare.

12. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the compliments. I plan to let the hinges patina naturally. I made sure there was no coating or anything on the brass before I installed them to the new door. This way it can oxidize normally.

This clock is still not done. I've been working on it for months, but it looks fantastic now. I jut have the back to attach (trying to find some nice old square nails to use) and the glasses to paint (can't pick a pattern or colours...)

13. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Timesavers sells square cut nails.

timesavers.com

Ralph

14. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Ralph, I did order their 1 1/2 inch nails a while back, but they are about 2-3x too wide. The ywould just tear the back to pieces. They are nearly 1/4 thick at the head.

The only other size I haven't tried is the 1 inch but these arn't quite long enough.