Advice need regarding warning wheel

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Rockin Ronnie, Oct 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Servicing an 8 day Jerome & Co. time and strike with multiple problems, bent second wheel, time side, needs upwards of 9 bushings and a good cleaning. The warning wheel stop pin is very worn (looks about half gone) and I would like advice on whether to leave it or repair it. I suppose if it lets go it would not do a whole lot of damage.

If a repair, how would I go about it?

Thanks

Ron

RS Jerome (1).jpg RS Jerome (2).jpg round top (2).JPG

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would be more concerned about how it got they. Looks like stop lever was not completely clearing the pin when the wheel was running. If you have a lathe I would probably make a replacement pin, otherwise it will likely run OK for a good long time. Make sure it is tight.

To replace, turn a new pin that looks like it was originally was with your lathe. Punch out the old, press the new pin in, peen on the back side.

RC

3. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks RC.

Ron

4. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    put a shoulder on new pin, the shoulder serves as a stop to prevent pin sliding through. Then cut the length so that the part that fasten to wheel about 1/16th longer than wheel thickness. Peen the pin to wheel by inserting pin shoulder up with wheel on top.

Rockin Ronnie and Kevin W. like this.