Advice for Gustav Becker wall clock / Could anyone date this Gustav Becker clock?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by mikke_c, Feb 6, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mikke_c

mikke_c New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hello all,

I got my Gustav Becker wall clock a passed relative. From the logo I could make out that it is an genuine Gustav Becker clock. Though I did not manage to find any information at all about the specific model. I found many Becker clocks very similar to it, but no perfect match.

I also have trouble finding the serial number in plate.
    So if you could help me identify the clock, when it was made and some general information about this specific model I would be very grateful.

Attached Files:

2. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mikke, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board! Thanks for posting your inquiry and the photos of your Gustav Becker clock.

You have one of GB's "Amerikaner" design movements, first introduced in 1906 and continuously produced in the Freiburg, Silesia factory until it was closed at the end of 1932. The stampings on the back plate show the GB anchor logo, the pendulum length P26 (for 26 cm), the letter "H" for Hohltreiben (Lantern Pinions), and the letter "K". These stamps show that your clock was made no earlier than May 1925, at which time GB discontinued the use of the word "SILESIA" stamped underneath the GB logo and started using the presence or absence of the letter "H" to show whether the movement has lantern pinions ("H" present) or solid cut pinions (no "H"). They also started use of a date stamps that are on the upper right corner of the front plate of the movement, consisting of a letter and number such as "h 25" representing August 1925. To find this you have to remove the dial. About 1927 they discontinued the letter and began stamping only numbers but with the year first and month second, such as "27 8" for August 1928.

The case for your clock is one of a series that is illustrated in the GB 1924 sale catalog published by our member Victor Tang (www.any400day.com). Here is a scan of model No. 526 that has the same basic case as your clock but a slightly different headpiece:
    No 526 Vienna.jpg From this scan it is apparent that the top and bottom finials of your clock are reversed, the one at the top should be at the bottom and vice versa. The dimensions and description in this illustration appear to match your clock.

The style of your case is not found in catalogs after 1926 (the next available catalog is 1928) so I believe it was made between mid-1925 and the end of 1927. If there is a date stamp on the front of the movement that would provide the actual year it was made.