Adjustment of R & I Atkins wood movement

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by lwmetker, Jan 24, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lwmetker

lwmetker New Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Retired
    Bel Air Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have an Rollins & Irenus carved column & splat shelf clock in excellent running condition. It keeps excellent time but the striker is striking two hours earlier than the indicated time. The movement appears to be by G & G. W. Bartholemew. I am a total amateur. What is the safest way to adjust the striker to the correct hour? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Iwmetker, welcome to the message board.
    The easiest way is to move the hour hand back to what is being struck, then advance the minute hand to the correct time. Post a few pictures of your clock. We all enjoy a nice old clock:)

3. lwmetker

lwmetker New Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Retired
    Bel Air Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank You. Will be happy to post some photos. Can the hour hand be moved foreward as well? My fear was chipping a tooth on one of the wooden gears. The paper instructions posted in the old clock label mention pulling down a wire hanging from the mechanism before attempting to move the hands. This clock does not appear to have the described wire nor do any of the pictures of the movement that I have been able to find on the net.

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The hand is friction fit, and shouldn't be too difficult to move and will go in either direction. The wire would have been used to trip the countwheel to advance the strike. Another method you could use is advancing the minute hand to about 5 to the hour, putting the strike in warn, then back it up until the strike runs. Keep doing this until the strike matches the time.

5. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Peter A. Nunes, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
    Keep in mind that most short drop wood shelf clock movements have the hour hand mounted on a square at the end of the hour tube, so the hand is not a friction fit. There is a clutch on the intermediate wheel, between the plates, to allow the hour hand to be rotated safely, but I have seen several that were more or less locked up by filth and age- so turning the hour hand may not always be possible without causing damage. It is likely that your Atkins has the friction fit hand mentioned by Harold, and it is okay to gently advance or reverse the hour hand if that is the case. Be aware that this may loosen the hand on the shaft, and it may be necessary to push the hand gently back down onto the shaft, easily accomplished with two thumbnails. There should be a trip wire hanging down from the left side of the movement, as you face the clock. This will generally need to be pulled down gently to advance the strike- something that should only be done when the minute hand is just past the hour, though it will work until the minute hand has lifted the warning lever. If the wire is missing, remove the movement and install a new one. I use readily available fairly fine piano wire, available at your local hardware store.

6. lwmetker

lwmetker New Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Retired
    Bel Air Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the additional info! I gently moved the hour hand foreward and was able to reset the strike to the correct hour. Thank both of you for your help. Will need additional help if I decide to reinstall the wire as I am unsure of the wires attachment point. Will post photos soon.

7. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Generally there is a small wire eye hook let into the strike lifting arbor, an the left outside of the movement as viewed from the front. The trip wire is just mounted on that eye and hangs down free along the side of the movement, toward the front plate. Occasionally I have seen a little wire staple stuck into the left edge of the front plate to guide the wire and keep it from fouling the great wheel on the strike side- I've never been convinced that any I've seen were original, but I always leave them in place.