Adjusting the time on an E. Howard & Co. Boston clock tower.

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Kapellmeister, Aug 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kapellmeister

Kapellmeister New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was recently hired as Sexton at a church in Maine and one of my responsibilities is winding the clock, an 1883 E. Howard & Co. Boston, in the steeple. However, the clock is now running 4-5 minutes fast.

(1) How does one adjust the minute hand of the clock

(2) How does one adjust the action of the clock so it doesn't run "fast"?

2. Tomlarish

Tomlarish Registered User

Jul 25, 2017
    Country Flag:
    There will be an adjustment knob above the tomlarish@live.compendulum. Turning the pendulum up will make the clock run faster and down is slower. This picture shows a Seth Thomas and it has clamps that need to be loosened first but I think all Howard just had a narrow slot for the suspension spring. Not positive on yours. Also the pendulum will likely have a cup on top and you can put coins in it. Adding weight will slow the clock. This will have a smaller effect. Its also normal for the clock to speed up or slow down from winter to summer.

Your one pic just before the beveled gear going to the vertical shaft has a pin that you can pull and then turn the vertical shaft to adjust all the hand for time. Individual hands, you would need to go in the dial room and loosen a set screw on a drive shaft.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 352879 View attachment 352879 View attachment 352879 nu

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Mechanical Engineer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is a small video series on YouTube that shows the winding and adjustment of an E Howard that might be of some help for you. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr5XYle5PMc

Beautiful clock you are in charge of! One of my personal favorites.

4. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for posting this video, very, very interesting!

As y'all already have heard London's Big Ben will be shutting down for a few years. Yesterday I saw a segment on CBS Evening News about this and was surprised to find out that the pendulum was adjusted using coins!
    You can see the coins swinging in the second video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMT-OOrLBik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxU0YmrFkQ8

As for the original poster well I have to admit your very lucky to have that duty!