Adjusting Swinger Clock To Tell Accurate Time

Discussion in 'Hints & How-to's' started by George Schuetz, Jan 31, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. George Schuetz

George Schuetz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 28, 2016
    I heard it said years ago that Swinger Clocks are not accurate and they cannot dependably tell reasonably accurate time. (Fig. 1) First I bought an Ansonia Swinger. Then I bought a French Swinger. I had both of them for more than 2 years before I mustered the courage to try to learn how they work. One day, after 2 years mind you, I decided to wind the French Swinger to see what would happen. Well whatdayaknow, it went into motion and the hands on the clock moved round and round. Then I wound the Ansonia Swinger – same thing – the hands on the clock went round and round. I wasn’t concerned at this moment in time about accurate timekeeping.

Now, the French Swinger swinging arm has a flat “pellet chamber” at the bottom. Early on when I first got it the round plate came off the flat “pellet chamber” and – whoops – a bunch of little round metal things came spilling out! Now everything with both Swingers went dormant. I didn’t know what to do so I did nothing.

A year or more later I decided to measure the size of the “little round things” that came out of the bottom of the French Swinger swinging arm “pellet chamber”. (Figs 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

Once I had the dimension of the pellets I looked online to find out what size shotgun shell had that size pellet. Bingo – it was a 12 Ga Shotgun Shell with 1 ½ ozs of 7 ½ shot. (Fig 7)

Once the shot pellets were ordered I decided to clean the French Swinger Movement. Here are pictures of the cleaned movement. (Figs 8, 9)

When the pellets arrived I put an arbitrary amount of 7 ½ shot in the pendulum “shot container”. Then I ran the clock for a couple of hours to see if it ran fast or slow. If fast I had to remove some shot. If slow I had to add some shot. Eventually after fussing with this scenario I was able to get the clock to tell reasonably accurate time.

These are the pellets that came out of the “pellet chamber”. Some were lost.

Next step was to fine tune the timekeeping with the adjustment on the swinging arm.

First the gross adjusting done by adding and removing shot in the pendulum “shot container”. Once the clock is running +/- 1 or 2 minutes you are ready to fine tune it with the swinging arm adjustment.

The take away here:

· First make gross adjustments to regulate time keeping with weight (shotgun pellets) in the “swinging arm weight chamber”.

· Second fine tune the time keeping with the swinging arm adjustment.

If care is taken to get the weight (pellets) in the swinging arm chamber (the flat one here on the French Swinger or the round chambers on the Ansonia and Junghans Swingers) the swinger clocks will keep good time.

01.JPG 02.JPG 03.JPG 04.JPG 05.JPG 06.JPG 07.jpg 08.JPG 09.JPG

Mark Johnson likes this.