• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

adjusting regulator F and S

CGC

Dec 28, 2009
This is a silly question, but if my watch is running fast do I move the regulator toward S to slow it down?

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi CGC it would depend how fast, a minute a day or 3 minutes a day.A regulator can only regulate so much the its more work to properly regulate a watch movement.
Hope my answer helps.

Yes move towards s to slow the movement down:):)

psfred

Sep 25, 2009
If it's running more than a minute or two a day fast, likely it needs more than a regulator adjustment.

Typically a watch will run fast as the oil goes gummy or the watch gets dirty since there is less power transferred through the train. This causes the balance rotation to get less and less, hence taking less time between "ticks".

Always a clue to clean a newly acquired watch when the regulator is pushed all the way slow....

Peter

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
The regulator essentially lengthens or shortens the hairspring as it moves between the hairspring stud and its maximum adjustment. A shorter hairspring moves faster a longer moves slower. The range varies greatly as some watches have very long hairsprings.

burnz

Inactive User
Jan 24, 2006
Country
CGC---the plain and simple answer to your original question is----YES!