American PW Adjusting pallet Fork Jewel

Ken2469

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Re cleaned and reset the jewels but when I turned face up stops running. Do I set the upper Jewel flush with the bottom of the plate

20200730_150403.jpg

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
Re cleaned and reset the jewels but when I turned face up stops running. Do I set the upper Jewel flush with the bottom of the plate

View attachment 603194
Trouble shhot.

Remove pallet. Does balance have free motion dial up and dial down? If not, remove balance spring and try again (presumption is that you have already proven to yourself the balance spring is not fouling). If problem persists, look at endshake and balance pivot.

Yes, pallet jewels are set flat to the top. Else locking changes as the endshakes take new positions.

Why did you change the locks?

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Ken, you "reset the jewels". Which jewels? The only jewels I can think of it the pallet fork assembly that could be "flush with a plate" would be the pallet arbor jewels, that is the ones pressed into the main plate and pallet bridge that bears against the pivots on the pallet fork. Are these the ones you are asking about? Looking closer, it looks like at least the train jewels are bezel set. Does this go for the pallet arbor jewels as well?

I'm afraid your pictures don't help much as they aree focused on the first train wheel, not the balance assembly.

If it is the pallet arbor jewels you are referring to: the end shake and axial position of those jewels should be so there is no real visible change in position in the axial height of the pallet when lifted with a fine oiler, but neither should it bind. The pallet needs to be fully free, or else you will crack the jewels. The position should be so that all parts of the safety dart are in proper working position regardless of position of the watch. That is: lever fork centered between the two roller sections when viewed from the side and guard dart poiting exactly at the lower section of the roller (if it is a safety roller). See image below.

The position and end shake of the pallet should also be so that the teeth of the escape wheel are right in the middle of the impulse surfaces of the pallet jewels. You may need to adjust the end shake of the pallet jewels to get this right. But if you have altered the setting depth of the pallet arbor jewels, do not touch any other jewels in the watch before you are positive that you have found the correct depth of the ones you have altered. Chances are you'll just be chasing your own tail.

And I'll have to ask the same question that Dewey did but for a different part: why did you remove the jewels?

Regards
Karl

CorrDivBetPalletFork-Roller.jpg

topspy

NAWCC Member
Nov 17, 2013
Oregon
www.fixmypocketwatch.com
Country
Region
Am I missing something here? Dewey, why are you asking about the locks? He never mentions the pallet at all. I assume he means he removed the balance jewels for cleaning as is a normal practice. And yes, the jewel settings should be flush to the surface to which the screws secure them. The photos are blurry, but it looks as though the cap jewel on the balance cock is proud of the surface, which will cause excessive endshake. When turned face up this can cause the balance to drop to a position where the roller will contact the pallet fork and stop the watch.

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Am I missing something here? Dewey, why are you asking about the locks? He never mentions the pallet at all. I assume he means he removed the balance jewels for cleaning as is a normal practice. And yes, the jewel settings should be flush to the surface to which the screws secure them. The photos are blurry, but it looks as though the cap jewel on the balance cock is proud of the surface, which will cause excessive endshake. When turned face up this can cause the balance to drop to a position where the roller will contact the pallet fork and stop the watch.
I assume because the title of the thread is "Adjusting pallet fork jewel". I think we need to hear more from the OP on this...

Reactions: 179

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
Country
You and I are both guilty of assumption. I assumed replacing the balance jewels is replacing the balance jewels. The only jewels I see in a lever escapement where the issue flush comes into play are the pallet jewels. You are assuming he is using replace and reset interchangeably.

In short, the OP should clarify just what he did. Shows we are both fallible human beings. Seriously, thank you for pointing this out.

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
Country
Actua
Actually,

Yes you did. The title: "Reset Pallet Jewels". Just looked back to figure out why I concluded he was talking about the locking stones.

topspy

NAWCC Member
Nov 17, 2013
Oregon
www.fixmypocketwatch.com
Country
Region
Actua

Actually,

Yes you did. The title: "Reset Pallet Jewels". Just looked back to figure out why I concluded he was talking about the locking stones.
Actually, the title is "Adjusting pallet fork jewel" which, if that was the case, I would assume the pivot jewels and not the pallet stones, especially since he says "the upper jewel.". I forgot the post title when I posted. and he didn't mention the pallet again. I suspect he meant to say the balance - but that's just me... We shall never know unless he replies I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maintainthestatusquo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner