Adjusting a Goldthwait regulator (Hamilton 926)

yellow_sub

NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2019
NorCal
Country
Region
I feel silly asking this cause I'm sure I'm missing something super obvious, but can not figure out how to adjust this darn thing! I can back the screw off that is to the side (silver one in the pic, just to the right of the balance wheel) and can push the arm over but all it does is spring right back over. I searched here and elsewhere online but couldn't find anything specific to this type of regulator. Here is a picture of the watch to see what I'm talking about exactly. Thanks in advance for the help.
DSC00240.JPG

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
The screw on the side of the balance cock is what you’re looking for. Glad you asked ! -Cort

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
You may want to turn the balance cock over to check the function of the regulator before you go further. -Cort

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Moved to watch repair

Rob

NAWCC Member
Sep 16, 2008
Difficult to see from your pic., but to me it looks like the tip of the spring is under the piece it should apply pressure against, It should rest against the side of that piece.

Reactions: musicguy

luvsthetick

Mar 31, 2010
Georgia
Country
Region
Turning the screw clockwise will move the regulator arm toward the fast mark and counterclockwise moves the arm toward the slow mark. If this doesn't do what you want to do then there is probably a problem under the balance cock.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: musicguy

yellow_sub

NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2019
NorCal
Country
Region
Thanks for the info everyone! There does seem to be an issue with the regulator. I back out the screw but it still stays pinned over to the one side. I can push it over but it just goes back into the position where it is in the picture. Unfortunately, disassembly of all that, especially this specific one, is more than I feel comfortable doing currently. I have had this one since early 2017 and haven't had it serviced yet so I guess it's time for that anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deeqdacad
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff