Adjusted? Adjusted 6th position?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by kd8tzc, Apr 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kd8tzc

kd8tzc Registered User

Apr 11, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry guys if this is out there someplace, but I didn't have much luck searching for it. I keep seeing these terms in some of your posts and I have no clue by what you mean when you say you have "such and such watch, adjusted" or that the watch was never adjusted to the 6th position. Can someone give me a quick rundown on what this all means (or point me to a post that explains all this terminology).

Thanks

2. topspin

topspin Registered User

Dec 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you find (or imagine) a watch which is in poor condition (or simply, badly designed or cheaply made) then its timekeeping may vary according to a number of factors, including -
    What position it is in (face up, face down, stem up, stem down, sideways/diagonally, etc)
    Whether it is fully wound or nearly unwound (lack of "isochronism"), and
    Variations in temperature (heat, cold.)

...so basically you can't rely on it to always be telling the correct time.

If you now imagine a newly-made watch still at the factory - "adjustment" was a slow process of assessing its timekeeping in various circumstances, and then adjusting it as necessary.
    More adjustment = more expensive, in return for (hopefully) better accuracy.

As far as I am aware, there was no standard list of "Position 1 is this, Position 2 is that (etc)" common to all the manufacturers.

3. Kent

Kent Registered User
    NAWCC Member

#3 Kent, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Perhaps you'll find the Encyclopedia article entitled "[main="Watch Adjustment"]Watch Adjustment[/main]" to be helpful.

You may also find the following Encyclopedia articles useful in understanding pocket watches and the terms that are used in discussing them:

• [main="Case Type"]Case Type[/main]
    • [main="Movement Type"]Movement Type[/main]
    • [main="Pocket Watch Dials"]Pocket Watch Dials[/main]
    • [main="Pocket Watch Jewels"]Pocket Watch Jewels[/main]
    • [main="Pocket Watch Regulator"]Pocket Watch Regulator[/main]
    • [main="Setting Watch Hands"]Setting Watch Hands[/main]
    • [main="Watch Case"]Watch Case[/main]
    • [main="Watch Grades"]Watch Grades[/main]
    • [main="Watch Models"]Watch Models[/main]
    • [main="Watch Runs"]Watch Runs[/main]
    • [main="Watch Size"]Watch Size[/main]
    • [main="Watch Chain"]Watch Chain[/main]

The Encyclopedia articles listed in these links may also be helpful to you, especially the items and links listed in each article's References section.

And perhaps you will find the following Encyclopedia articles useful:

• "[main="Railroad Time Service"]Railroad Time Service[/main]"
    • "[main="Railroad Watch"]Railroad Watch[/main]"

Please feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear to you.

4. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2001
    illinois

Attached Files:

5. kd8tzc

kd8tzc Registered User

Apr 11, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks all... that's quite helpful. Is the watch stamped/marked someplace that it is adjusted or was that only in the advertisements? I guess, how would you know?

6. Kent

Kent Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Most are marked. Your question is answered in detail, with links to pictures, in the [main="Watch Adjustment"]Watch Adjustment[/main] Encyclopedia article.