adjust hammer heads

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Bruce Barnes, Sep 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User
    Donor

Mar 20, 2004
    Hi,
    I have a New Haven Renaissance T,S and Westminster chime and the sound is almost indistinguishable. The hammer heads have an adjusting nut above the head that secures it to the strike rod.The felt pads are ok just virtually no sound, save short of removing the pads would an adjustment of the heads forward or aft of their present position increase the sound. The lift is fine just soft sound.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Bruce Barnes

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    #2 roughbarked, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    It isn't always the hammers and moving them along the rods isn't always a solution. It is about how the hammers hit and this can be altered in more than one way. It can also be about the gongs they strike and how they are mounted. I had one yesterday where the customer said it doesn't strike properly. I moved the gong so that it only touched the case where it was mounted. She said.. "beautiful".

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    The hammer head tips aren't usually made of felt. Might be a good idea to remove the movement and check this out. Normally hammet heads are made of leather.

The 'at rest' position of each hammer should be about 1/8" above the rod.

A good photo of what you actually have there is always helpful.

Willie X

4. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    I replaced some old hard leather in a Smiths Enfield with a piece of nylon from a quartz clock setter. It dongs as well as it ever did now.

5. Bruce Barnes

Donor

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks to all, the covering is leather, and they strike chime rods and play the 1/4 1/2 3/4 and the hour.The rod has enough space for movement of approx. 1/2 inch.

6. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    The chime rods aren't normally moved as part of the adjustment. But if the chime rod's block is loose, it needs to be tightened. The hammers usually strike the rods at about 3/4" to 1" from the iron block.

Willie X

7. Bruce Barnes

Donor

Mar 20, 2004
    I wasn't contemplating adjusting the chime rods but rather the hammer heads along the shaft that holds the hammer heads..............thanks to all for your help.I also noticed someone and place some household insulation in the clock as well. methinks someone, at some time, did not or was not a "fan" of the percussion.
    Bruce

8. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You may need to adjust the top rods so the hammer rods have maximum raise and drop.

9. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Sometimes adjusting the hammer head location can help. Particularly if they lie almost parallel to the rods.

The insulation was yes an attempt to quieten the noise when in reality they don't have to wind the chime and strike up.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. it is more often the case.

10. Bruce Barnes

Donor

Mar 20, 2004
    Ah ha, so we are talking of raising the lift rods, but if you do thusly, then the lower rods will have to be adjusted to contemplate for the new lift.............hmmmmmmmmmmmm?
    maybe solving one and creating another.
    Bruce

11. BLKBEARD

BLKBEARD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2016
    HVAC, MECHANIC
    CT
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just replaced a missing hammer head insert with leather. The leather I believe is too soft resulting in a very soft strike. I'm going to paint the leather with shellac, locktite or wood glue to stiffen it. If that doesn't work i'll turn down a wood dowel for an insert and try that. Right now it has a nice tone, but unless you mute the TV, you can't hear it.

12. Bruce Barnes

Donor

Mar 20, 2004
    Exactly !! maybe adjusted to be a bedroom clock. ?quien sabe?

13. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    A round NH chimer does not have a loud sound. It has a nice sound but not very loud. So you may be expecting something that this little clock won't be able to deliver.
    Willie X

14. BLKBEARD

BLKBEARD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2016
    HVAC, MECHANIC
    CT
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I soaked the leather insert on my hammer with crazy glue.

It sounds much better now. At least I can hear it over the TV. It was missing the leather, and just had the brass hammer hitting the gong coil.
    Sounded kinda tinnie. Then I made a leather for it. Sounded nice but way too soft.

Now I wish it was a bit louder, but I think this is as good as its gonna get.

15. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I once replaced the missing leather hammer pad with a piece of string-trimmer line that I doubled over and shoved into the cavity in the hammer. Once trimmed off to about an eighth of an inch, it sounded splendid and I've used the same trick since, since hammers aren't always so removable on old American clocks. The leather from Timesavers is way too soft, and I didn't have much luck trying to harden it.

I have one customer who is hard of hearing, so after fooling with the hammer drop distance, etc., I replaced the plastic-faced hammers in her floating-balance carriage clock with solid brass ones from Timesavers. The sound is surprisingly civilized and not at all harsh.

M Kinsler

16. gocush

gocush Registered User

Jun 24, 2016
    Olympia, Washington
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce, I like your Emiliano Zapata by-line. Do you speak Spanish?

Here's my last year Halloween costume with mi nieto. I'm afraid his mom didn't like the idea of him teething on my live rounds of lead !!!! No humor, I guess.

[​IMG]

17. Bruce Barnes

Donor

Mar 20, 2004
    soy un norteno viejo y mi espanol es muy pobre..............pero Viva la Raza !!

18. bangster

bangster Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No tan pobre!