Adding night shut off to Hermle movement - missing post for installation

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Sam08861, May 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sam08861

Sam08861 Registered User

Sep 10, 2012
    Hi All,

I see there are kits available for this from a few suppliers but I'm getting conflicting information from various sources.

From the Hermle service manual and one supplier, it states that any Hermle among a list of movements can have this added. However, looking closely at the movements, I see that several of the model I have (1161-853BS from 1987) have an additional hollow post just 'southeast' of the post for the rack, and those that have the ANSO (automatic night shut off) use this for the installation point for the parts.

My unit does not have this hollow post, so assuming my version predates all units having this (per the Hermle docs), whether ASNO was installed or not?

Was not sure if the kits included this post to solder/weld on or if there is a known provision for the post be added in order to use the kit?

(I realize I could just weld/solder/braze on something of the right id/od diameters and height, but don't like the prospect of having to hope the alignment is just right. Someone more skilled than me will be required and I assume that I would personally be better of just buying the whole movement or front plate with the feature. )

Thanks!

Sam

2. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jul 4, 2009
    The new movements come with that post. The 1161 can also be obtained with the ANSO already installed. It is not easy to retrofit this kit to the older unit.

3. Sam08861

Sam08861 Registered User

Sep 10, 2012
    That is what I thought. Thanks for confirming!

Sam